Wiring two switches

Old 02-04-13, 03:29 PM
Unhappy Wiring two switches

I am trying to wire a light with two switches, power is in a 2 gang box and the other houses the wire for the light, and it is a 4 gang box with 3 other switches that also need power that comes from the other box. I have 2 travelers between the 2 boxes. Can you also show me a schematic for the wiring?

Ken

Last edited by headpin8; 02-04-13 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-13, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I am trying to wire a light with two switches, power is in a 2 gang box and the other houses the wire for the light, and it is a 4 gang box with 3 other switches that also need power that comes from the other box. I have 2 travelers between the 2 boxes.
The two 3-way switches and the light are easy, so long as you have a 3-wire traveler cable between the two boxes.

Terminate the black power wire to the common screw on a 3-way switch in the 2-gang box, splice the white from the panel to the white in the traveler cable and terminate the black and red wires in the traveler cable to the two traveler terminals on the 3-way switch. In the 4-gang box, do the same thing with a second 3-way switch, except that you connect the black for the light to the common terminal on this switch. Done.

I'm betting you already knew how to do that, and your question is really about the other four switches. To answer that question, we'll need a bit more information:

Are any of the other four switches 3-way switches, or are they all single location switches?
What cables do you have run from box to box? and
What wires, in what cables, enter each box?

Old 02-04-13, 07:19 PM
The 4 gang box have 3 single location switches and 1 3-way sw. The 2 gang box have 1 single and 1 3-way.

Old 02-04-13, 07:23 PM
3-way

And I only have a 2 wire travler. Can you supply a schematic for this?

Old 02-04-13, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Here's one way if power comes in at one switch.

Old 02-04-13, 10:52 PM
I am trying to wire a light with two switches, power is in a 2 gang box and the other houses the wire for the light, and it is a 4 gang box with 3 other switches that also need power that comes from the other box.

The 4 gang box have 3 single location switches and 1 3-way sw. The 2 gang box have 1 single and 1 3-way.

And I only have a 2 wire travler. Can you supply a schematic for this?
No. As i said earlier,
Originally Posted by Nashkst1
The two 3-way switches and the light are easy, so long as you have a 3-wire traveler cable between the two boxes.
This is also what is shown in the diagram Ray posted. And that is just to make the pair of 3-way switches work. Ir this could be done with a 2-wire cable, we would have already given you that information.

From the information you've posted so far, you will need at least a 3-wire cable and a 2-wire cable between the two boxes.

If you will answer the third question asked earlier, plus one additional question, we can give you better, more focused advice.
  • What wires, in what cables, enter each box? And,
  • What size is the circuit supplying these switches and lights?

Old 02-04-13, 11:15 PM
I know but I also have 3 single switches in the 4gang box that also have to be powered by the 2gang box on the other side of the room?

Ken

Old 02-05-13, 12:18 AM
You said that earlier. It has been answered. Is there something else you would like to ask?

We're waiting for some additional information from you, in order to shape any additional advice we might have.

Mod Note: I deleted you post with this same question from the Lighting forum. Repeating the same question in different fora won't actually get you more, or better, or different answers. It will just confuse other members.

Old 02-05-13, 09:31 AM
Unhappy Wiring 2 switches

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8856[/ATTACH]I wounld like to operate the DR from both locations. The 2 gang box houses the power the 4 gang box houses the light. The 4 gang box also houses 3 other switches that need constant power from the 2 gang box. I enclosed a diagram of what I have now.

Ken P

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
switches.pdf (10.6 KB, 225 views)
Old 02-05-13, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Assming the lines in your diagram are wires not cables I don't see a way to do it. You need to run a two conductor power cable to the four gang box and a 3-conducor cable between the two gang box and four gang box. Your diagram shows a one gang box so also not sure what you mean by a two gang box. Diagram below assumes only one device in box as shown in your diagram.

Here is how I would do it. Some changes can be made such as having the light come from the one gang box but for simplicity power should come into the four gang box. Diagram assumes the SPST switches in the four gang are not switch loops. If they are wiring would be different. See the second diagram. Please read Nash's post below and answer his questions plus any corrections on my assumptions in the diagram and we will be able to better help you.

Grounds not shown. Connect grounds according to code.

Here is another way assuming the SPST switches in the four gang box are switch loops. May be closer to what you want.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-05-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 11:13 AM
I enclosed a diagram of what I have now.
Thanks. Unfortunately, though, your diagram doesn't agree completely with the information you've posted.

The box at the top of the diagram shows one 3-way switch, but you've referred to it as a 2-gang box. Also, you show a black and a red wire going out of the box at the top, both labeled as going "to 4 gang box," and a black and a red wire leaving the 4-gang box. One of those is labeled "BLK to 4 gang box" and the other is labeled "Red to 3 gang box." You don't show any white wires in the diagram. You do show that the three single-location switches each controls a separate load.

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here, based on the information you've posted, to try to clarify the information and move this discussion forward. You can tell us if this is accurate:

It appears that you have a 2-wire cable - black and white, plus a ground - feeding power into a 2-gang box. In that box you have one 3-way switch and one single-position switch. It also appears that you have a 3-wire cable - black, red and white, plus a ground - from the 2-gang box to a 4-gang box. In the 4-gang box you have the second 3-way switch, three single-location switches, four 2-wire cables, and the other end of the 3-wire cable. One of the 2-wire cables goes to the ceiling outlet and the other three go to other loads.

You want to have the two 3-way switches control the ceiling light, and you also need to get unswitched power to the 4-gang box to power the three single-position switches.

If this is correct, then you need to bring a 2-wire cable feeding unswitched power into the 4-gang box. That 2-wire cable can originate in the 2-gang box, in your panel, or in any other location that has a complete circuit with unswitched power available, such as a receptacle.

How would you like to do it?

Old 02-05-13, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Post above Nash's has been edited to add a second diagram.

Old 02-05-13, 01:35 PM
This is correct. I thought that it was common that I have a wht cable and a ground, my mistake, their is a wht. and a ground. The Blk and Red wire are travelers and also have a wht. and a grnd. I would like to have power come from the 2 gang box to the 4 gang box unswitched.

Old 02-05-13, 01:59 PM
I would like to have power come from the 2 gang box to the 4 gang box unswitched.
If that's your preferred solution,
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
then you need to bring a 2-wire cable feeding unswitched power into the 4-gang box. That 2-wire cable can originate in the 2-gang box...

Old 02-05-13, 02:08 PM
Can I use what I have? It was wired before so it should be possible.

Old 02-05-13, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Did it work before? Are you trying to add something?

I'm confused by some of your statements and you haven't answered our questions. You have said you have two wires between the 3-way switches for instance but as we have said you need three.

Been a long thread. Thoughts get lost os answer all the questions below and we will go from there.

Did it ever work?
Are you trying to add a set of 3-way switches where there wasn't any?
Is it a two gang box or one gang box. If two gang what else is in it?
Or the three single location switches on a switch loop. It is a switch loop if power comes in at the light.
Do you have a 3-conductor cable (red, white black) between the two gang box and the four gang box?
Do you have a 2-conductor cable (black, white) that brings power to the two gang box?

Answer all those questions and we will be better able to help you.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-05-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 02:41 PM
Ray, I think the OP was ignoring neutrals when counting wires.

Old 02-05-13, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Ray, I think the OP was ignoring neutrals when counting wires.
But as we both know all the wires that are white may not all be neutrals. See my question list above and edit in any questions of yours.

Old 02-05-13, 03:16 PM
Er... I said neutrals when I meant to say white wires. I think the OP was ignoring white wires and assuming they were always neutrals.

Time for a break.

Your list looks good for now. If we get those answers it should aid progress. Here's some of it that I think we already know:

Is it a two gang box or one gang box.
It's a 2-gang box.
Originally Posted by headpin8
I would like to have power come from the 2 gang box
Do you have a 3-conductor cable (red, white black) between the two gang box and the four gang box?
A 3-conductor cable.
Originally Posted by headpin8
The Blk and Red wire are travelers and also have a wht. and a grnd.
Do you have a 2-conductor cable (black, white) that brings power to the two gang box?
No. See first quote from the OP above.