Wiring a 1 HP electric motor for my bandsaw (woodworking)

Old 02-05-13, 07:08 PM
Wiring a 1 HP electric motor for my bandsaw (woodworking)

Replacing the motor on my bandsaw. Located a 1 HP motor that would be just right size-wise. Unclear on how to hook up and getting mixed messages. Some facts from data plate are: AO Smith is mfg. but maybe out of biz. It's two speed 1725/1425 RPM, 115/230V. I was told it was used on big fan but plugged into 115V rather than 230. There is a cover over a bunch of terminals inside a box but appears that appropriate terminals also come out to a series of spade connectors labelled L1 L2 GRD SW1 SW2. I am going with 115V and would be happy with 1725 RPM (lower speed would be nice at times). When I got motor it was cut loose from fam but wires attached to spades were as follows. Blk on L1, white on L3, plus a black wire and white wire on SW1 and SW2 (not sure which order).

I was told to put blk on L1, white on L2, green on GRD, then run lead from either SW1 or SW2 to L1 (Blk) NO CIGAR.

In thinking about it, since I am going with lower voltage do I in fact go with Blk on L1 (one side of 230V), White on GRD, Green to frame somehow? If so, how do I get one speed or the other? Just tie SW1 or SW2 to BLK?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-13, 07:45 PM
Is there a catalog number or part number on the data plate? If so, you could call AOSmith, they are not out of business. Well, they are Century motors now.

Century Electric Motors - Regal Beloit EPC, Inc.

Contact info

Contact Us - Century Electric Motors - Regal Beloit EPC, Inc.

Here's some more info for when the wiring diagram is missing.

Motor Doctor Article Detail - Century Electric Motors - Regal Beloit EPC, Inc.

Old 02-05-13, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the leads. I will pursue them.