Baseboard heater stays on whenever thermostat is not off

Old 02-02-13, 04:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboard heater stays on whenever thermostat is not off

I have a small room in our cottage in Quebec with a peculiar problem. There is a baseboard heater on a thermostat (a "dipole?" the kind that has an "off" position.)

I recently had an electrician replace the thermostat because there was this problem: The heater stays on whenever the thermostat is not in the "off" position. I can turn the heater off by turning the thermostat all the way down, until it clicks. But, any setting other than this and the heater just stays on, regardless of the thermostat setting.

So after the electrician replaced the thermostat, the problem was not solved!

I believe there were multiple wires into to the junction box that the thermostat is attached to.

Anyone have any ideas what's up?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Cheers,
Michael Eyestone
Wakefield, QC

Old 02-02-13, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
On most four wire thermostats.......only two wires are controlled thermostatically.

L1 - T1 is the thermostatically controlled pair. They open and close depending on setting and temperature.

L2 - T2 is the pair that is connected when the t'stat is on.......and open when the t'stat is turned off.

Old 02-02-13, 05:09 PM
M
Thanks! Any idea how to know which is which?

Old 02-02-13, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
It would probably be best to have the electrician come back and fix his error.

If you have four wires on the thermostat......two are power in... L1 and L2 and two are out to the heater T1 and T2. I'm assuming a 240 volt heater.

If you only have two wires on the thermostat then they should be connected to L1 and T1.
the thermostat should have all the wires or terminals labeled.

What is the make and model of the thermostat ?

Old 02-03-13, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If you turn the thermostat to the off position it would be reacting the same way as if the temperature in the room was being satisfied.

What temperature is the room when the thermostat is expected to automatically shut off?
Do you have more than one heater connected to the thermostat and is it possible one is not working so the room doesn't get warm enough?
Is it possible that there is a cold draft in the wall cavity that is preventing the thermostat from shutting off?........This is fairly common!

Old 02-07-13, 06:56 AM
M
Thanks to all, especially PJmax, who had it right. There were four wires on the thermostat a Dimplex TD322W). Two unlabelled ones were wired to the lines into the box from the panel; two others labelled "line" and "load" were capped off. I just switched to the two labelled wires and now it work properly.

Problem solved!
Cheers,
Michael

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: