Garbage disposal

Old 02-06-13, 09:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal

So my current disposal has a leak in it. I have small children so we decided to purchase a batch-feed model instead of a continuous model. My current disposal is hard-wired, while the new model is a three-prong plug.

What's the ideal setup as far as safety and ease of installation? Should I cut the plug and hard-wire it? Or should I install a GFI outlet under the sink? I am comfortable with very basic electrical installations. I have replaced/installed outlets, fixtures and dimmers in the past.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Old 02-06-13, 10:34 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Install a receptacle. You can use a simplex receptacle if you want. By code no GFCI required simplex or duplex. If switched I'd go with simplex but that's personal choice. If simplex not duplex receptacle and only device it must match the breaker.

Old 02-06-13, 10:48 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ray, WOW many thanks for your input. A couple of follow on questions...

1) Simplex (one plug) duplex (two plugs), any other differences I need to be aware of?
2) You said by code that no GFCI is required? My home inspector had mentioned that some states require GFCI if the outlet is within a certain distance of water sources. Wouldn't that apply here?
3) What do you mean must match the breaker? The current disposal is on a switch, was kind of planning to keep it that way. The batch feed disposal requires a cap to be placed over the drain before it will run. If it's hooked up to the switch also, its kind of a double safety feature. Right?

Old 02-06-13, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I remove the plug and hard wire them when I replace. Its easier IMO....

Old 02-06-13, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You should install a receptacle, as Ray suggested. The cord on the new unit is not rated for use inside a junction box, and removing the plug will destroy the U.L. listing of the unit.

Old 02-06-13, 11:42 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sorry, sometimes I get carried away with my answers. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned simplex. When a simplex receptacle is the only device you must use a 15 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit and a 20 amp on a 20 amp circuit. That does not apply if there are two or more places to plug in such as a duplex receptacle so you can use a 15 amp duplex on a 20 amp circuit.

It is my understanding the circuit under the sink is exempt from the "near water" requirement when used for dishwashers and garbage disposals. Wait for the pros to confirm.

Old 02-06-13, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
and removing the plug will destroy the U.L. listing of the unit.

I dont hack the end off, I go into the electrical panel of the GD and remove the plug. Then I run the power right into the unit. What would be the difference in UL listing plug vs no plug?

Is that written somewhere? I would like to read it, and if true I need to tell some folks about that.....

Old 02-06-13, 01:57 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
What would be the difference in UL listing plug vs no plug?
The U.L. listing is for the appliance as it comes out of the box, without modification. That said, if the instructions include directions for replacing the coed with a directly attached cable, and the cover plate allows clamping the cable, then the listing should cover that. IOW, the way you're doing it may be as legal as sunshine.

Confirming Ray's understanding about receptacles inside sink bases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: