exhaust fan/light plus another light?

Old 02-08-13, 09:34 PM
exhaust fan/light plus another light?

Hi there, got a question for you wise people.
Ive got a bathroom exhaust fan/light combo and a vanity light for my bathroom. I have 14/2 & 14/3 wire to do the job. Heres my question I got two 3way switches and one single pole switch. I have the 3way switch along with these single pole switch in a dbl. Gang box at one entrance to the bathroom and I have the other 3way switch by the other entrance. How do I wire the lights all on the 3way switches and how do I wire the fan on the single pole switch? Anyone know of a wire diagram for this? Pls help.. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 10:37 PM
Group Moderator
Are you starting from scratch......because you'll need to have the feed, one three way and the single pole switch at one end.

If you have the circuit already started then you need to tell us which box the power goes in to and which box the fan and light is connected to.

Old 02-09-13, 11:13 AM
There is no single wiring diagram for what you're planning to do. It can be wired in a variety of ways.

If you'll answer PJ's questions that will help us focus our advice. In particular, where will the feed from the cable and the feeds for the two loads be relative to the switches?

Old 02-09-13, 01:46 PM
Yes from scratch. I have the feed in one gang box with the 3way switch and the single pole switch..

Old 02-09-13, 06:41 PM
I got the feed 14/2 running to the double gang box which has the 3way and single pole switch inside of it. Also i haven't ran any wires except the feed to the double gang box. Im not quite sure how to get both lights (fan/light combo and vanity light) on the 3way switches and the fan on the single pole switch?

Old 02-09-13, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe something like this ?

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-13, 09:57 PM
Do you want the fan and the overhead light to go on and off together or separately? What do you want the 3-way pair to control - the vanity light or something else?

Old 02-10-13, 07:29 AM
Fan and overhead light need to go on and off separately.. Id like the 3way switches to control both lights and the single pole switch id like that one to control the fan. I think PJmax nailed it for me tho ill be working on this project on feb. 14th 2013. Ill get back to you guys then to let you know if the advice works for me...

Old 02-11-13, 01:26 PM
Wiring it the way PJmax showed will do what you want if you take a 3-conductor cable to the fan/light combo from the 2-gang box and a 2-conductor cable from there to the vanity light.

Old 02-15-13, 01:33 PM
So I found out theres only three wires coming from the fan/light combo will the wire diagram still work that you wrote pj? The wires are red, black, and white

Old 02-15-13, 05:06 PM
So I found out theres only three wires coming from the fan/light combo will the wire diagram still work that you wrote pj? The wires are red, blue, and white...

Old 02-15-13, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
See PJ's reply instead.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-15-13 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
When I drew that....it was to represent a three wire to the fan/light combo with an additional two wire from that combo to your vanity.

I thought it was understood......I should have clarified further.

Old 02-15-13, 09:44 PM
Ok lets start over... I have the feed (14/2) going to a double gang box, that gang box has two switches a 3way and a single pole switch. I also have another gang box its a single gang box with a 3way switch in it. Now on top of all that i got a fan/light combo with three wires blue, red, and white. Also a vanity light with your normal black, white, and ground. Now with that said PJ could you do up another diagram with labels like you did before and with 14/2 and 14/3 so i know which wires to run where? Thx.

Old 02-15-13, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
You will bring your two wire feed in to the 2 gang box with the single pole switch and one three way switch.

You will run a piece of three wire between the two switch boxes.

You will run a piece of three wire from your 2 gang box to the fan/light combo unit.

You can run a piece of two wire from your vanity light to the fan/light combo unit OR to the 2 gang box. I've shown the two wire going to the combo to keep the 2 gang box from becoming too busy. It's up to you.

Attached Images  
Old 02-16-13, 01:10 PM
So i hooked everything according to your drawing. The single pole switch controls the fan like i wanted and the 3ways control both lights like i wanted it to as well but for some reason when i turn off the 3way switch thats in the double gang box and try to turn on the 3way switch thats in the single gang box it doesnt work.

Old 02-16-13, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
If you followed my diagram..... you should have a black wire on the odd/dark color screw at both switches.

On a three way switch.......there is one screw on one side and two on the other. The common terminal can be in any one of the threee locations based on manufactorer.
That's why with a three way switch....two screws are one color.....usually silver and one screw is brass or black.....always darker.

Old 02-16-13, 03:32 PM
Ok figured out what i did wrong.. I had the commons messed up. Thanks for everything PJ.. Everything works great.. I appretiate all your help.

Old 02-16-13, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Good job.....you're welcome