"Splicing" 200 amp service

Old 02-09-13, 12:44 PM
"Splicing" 200 amp service

I am building a separate standing shop requiring that i move my home service meter box to a location near the shop (transformer is very close to shop). This requires extending the service line underground from new meter at shop to the location of "old" meter (currently fed by overhead power), which is then channelled underground to the house. Moving the meter box to the shop allows me to eliminate two service poles carrying overhead line that are in the way of the shop. Service is 200 amp

Question: Basically I need to "splice" the the new underground line to the existing underground line to the house. What would be better? an underground box with a splice kit (aluminum 4.0 to existing copper 3.0) or an above ground junction box? I would like to have some available power for outside light, etc. at this location, so a box with a few breakers sounds preferable. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-13, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
You can't have "some" available power at that splice point. It will need to be a 100% splice only or you'll need to bring the service cables into a service panel.....which would then become your splice point and a sub panel.

Definitely do-able. It just becomes an expensive splice box. You would need a 200 amp panel......either weatherproof or in some type of weather proof enclosure.

You will be installing or moving your 200 amp service disconnect to the new meter location........correct ?

Old 02-09-13, 03:39 PM
Re. available power, I was thinking one option could include a separate line from my shop subpannel back into the external wall-mounted meter box and down into the 3 inch conduit containing the 4.0 wire. This all goes to the location where the original meter was to meet up with the existing wire to house. But then I guess there would still be problems in connecting the circuits without some type of box. However, as you are saying, Installing a service panel sounds like the best and most straightforward way to go.

yes, re the disconnect, I was told by our local electric supplier that I could move the existing meter box (which includes the disconnect) to the new location. One of my problems is to imagine how to coordinate it all since so much needs to be done after the electric coop turns off the power. I have to move the old meter box to new location, install new panel where the old one was, etc. In my small rural town I'm having trouble finding an electrician willing to help me out.

Old 02-09-13, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why must you move your principal residence's meter base and service entrance? Why don't you separately meter your shop. I do that and it helps keep track of usage

Old 02-09-13, 04:30 PM
Understand what you're saying. In this case we wanted to eliminate two unsightly service poles anyway (one in the way of the drive to the shop). Also, it's a half shop and half garage - not a fully fledged shop. Good suggestion if we didn't have to do something with the poles anyway.

Old 02-09-13, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Here in NJ.....the power company doesn't allow two meters for a residential account.

Also.....you can't run wires back thru your service pipe to the splice point. Only the service wires can be in that pipe. You would have to run a second pipe.

Old 02-09-13, 05:03 PM
Here in NJ.....the power company doesn't allow two meters for a residential account.
It's the same here in my area.

Also.....you can't run wires back thru your service pipe to the splice point. Only the service wires can be in that pipe. You would have to run a second pipe.
That is also the same here, you can't have metered and unmetered wiring in the same raceway.

One of my problems is to imagine how to coordinate it all since so much needs to be done after the electric coop turns off the power. I have to move the old meter box to new location, install new panel where the old one was, etc.
You have a logistics problem. In order to avoid spending several nights in a motel, you'll probably want to install a new meter socket and main disconnect (and probably more) at the new location and have everything you can possibly do, done, before the big changeover day.

Old 02-09-13, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
In my location the power company will install a second service on the same property as long as they are separate buildings.

Here is what I suggest:

1)Install a new meter on the new shop building.
2)Next to the meter install an outdoor panel with feed through lugs. I have used Square D panel model #HOM816M200FTRB which fits the bill very well as it has 8 space/16 circuits available.
3)Trench a feed from the new panel to your home and install your wire. Leave the end at the house disconnected until it is time to make the switch. If this needs to be 200 amps you will connect that to the feed through lugs as mentioned above.
4) If you need 200 amps at the shop as well, you will need to change the lugs to doubles.

There are other options to this, like installing multiple disconnects on the shop, but you get the idea.

Old 02-09-13, 07:23 PM
This is all very helpful. I didn't realize that I would need to run another conduit noted in previous comments. Regarding the logistical suggestions - much appreciated. I have to think thru this sequencing.