Gfci confusion!

Old 02-10-13, 03:03 PM
Gfci confusion!

I'm getting ready to replace a GFCI receptacle in my kitchen that just went out on me. After I bought a new one I noticed that the bad one reads only 20amp 125v on the front and the one I bought reads "15A RECEPT" on one side of the front and "120v 60Hz 20AMP" on the front of the other side of the receptacle. I'm confused! 15A and 20A on the same unit! Is it the correct replacement? Hooking it up will be easy, but I just need to know if the new one will work for me. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-13, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It only matters if you are in Canada. Since you didn't list your location in your profile, we'll have to wing it.. Basically if the outlets look the same, then you should have no problems. If the outlets on the original have a T-slot for a 20A plug (see pic below), then you are only required to replace it with a 20A if you are in Canada (20A SABCs must have 20A T-slot receptacles per CEC). If you are in the US and have T-slot receptacles, you may replace it with a 15A standard face GFCI.

Old 02-10-13, 04:28 PM
Thank you Jerseymatt for your quick response! I'm in the state of Virginia and no my original outlet doesn't has a T slot on it at all. Looks like a regular outlet. I just got confused when the new outlet read 20A and 15A on it. My house was built in 1989 if that makes a difference. I don't know if outlets back then had T slots for 20A of not? Thank you again! I attached both the original and the newly purchased outlet to this post.Name:  IMG002.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  22.3 KBName:  IMG005.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  16.7 KB

Old 02-10-13, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 20 amp is the feed through rating. The 15 amp is the slot configuration.

Old 02-10-13, 05:32 PM
Thank you PcBoss!! I understand now!