120 V Generator transfer switch uncertainty

Old 02-11-13, 02:42 PM
Question 120 V Generator transfer switch uncertainty

I have a barely used 120 V genertor (Champion #46533) Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 46533 4,000 Watt 196cc 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

and I have used it a couple times. It works great when i lost power at my house, but ill be finishing my basement soon and want to add the convinence of adding a transfer switch so i can run the generator outside and throught a recepticle inside to certain breakers. I understand since this is only 120V i cant run any 240V appliance (oven, A/c) but can i still use the transfer switch anyway for the other breakers? this has one 120V 25 Amp feed.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-13, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most transfer switches come with both 120 v and 240 volt switches. The 240 volt switches have removable handles that will allow you to use them as individual 120 volt switches, thereby increasing your use of 120 volt appliances. I don't understand what you mean by running the generator through a receptacle inside to certain breakers. You must run the generator to a transfer switch and not a receptacle. Just need clarification on that.

Old 02-11-13, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
This the only one I know that supports 120v gens only. Gen tran had a classic series but they discontinued it. You may find old stock.

Amazon.com: GenTran 300660 30-Amp 6-Circuit Manual Transfer Switch for Generators up to 3750-Watt: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Here is the classic 120v only.

Gen-Tran Vintage|Indoor|30 amp| 6.circuit|3750w|Prewired|Manual|Transfer|Switch|120v|6x3positionSwi

Old 02-11-13, 03:10 PM
I was refering to the ouside recepticle that feeds the transfer switch. then running the transfer switch (6 breakers) into the selected breakers in the main panel. When i asked the licensed electrican ad Home Depot about using the reliance transfer switch for this application he said it probably will not work with a 120V generator. Also i realize this unit has a 120v 30 amp twist lock recepticle, but that doesnt make much difference.

Old 02-11-13, 04:31 PM
Gotcha. Just wanted to be clear. Also it is called an "inlet". Not sure why the HD guy said the Reliance switch wouldn't work.

Old 02-11-13, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
You need this inlet box. Its an L5. Just like your gen.

Either metal or plastic.

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

But you can only use the switches I linked to in post #3. Additionally reliance make a 4 circuit 120 v only.

Reliance Controls 30114A - 30-Amp (120V 4-Circuit) Indoor Transfer Switch

Old 02-11-13, 06:15 PM
When i asked the licensed electrican ad Home Depot
That's certainly a new one on me! I guess it's possible, but I have never heard of a Home Depot with a licensed electrician before.

Old 02-11-13, 08:28 PM
Joe, the next time you're in my neighborhood I'll take you to "my" HD and introduce you to some of the staff!

Old 02-12-13, 02:59 AM
Bill, no slam to HD or others, but the salary range of what HD provides wouldn't even cover benefits for a licensed electrician worth his salt. At least our HD staffing know their limitations and don't tread on areas they are not sure of. Funny, as I pick up supplies in different departments, I am asked to join in on conversations with customers to give advice on whether it will work or not. I respect that.

Old 02-12-13, 05:59 PM
Joe, the next time you're in my neighborhood I'll take you to "my" HD and introduce you to some of the staff!
I can only assume that "Licensing" and the qualifications to become licensed are determined by either the state or local AHJ. Some are very strict, like in my area, and some are very lenient. I am not knocking anyone's qualifications in particular, but I do know I have seen some "Licensed" electricians in some areas who don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold (some in my own state for sure). Some more rural areas in my state don't even have qualification based licensing procedures and hand out licenses in the form of a fee based business license. Nash, you may have some very qualified people in your local HD, but I have not seen any like that in the HD stores around here.

Old 02-12-13, 09:05 PM
Joe, the HD closest to me may not be typical. Got into a long war-stories session with one of the associates one night during which he regaled me with his recent adventures wiring up a power plant. He was working there to pay the bills while he studied for his next career as a double-E or an IT engineer or something like that.

Don't always run into a master, but J-men are not uncommon. One got so frustrated that they didn't have something both he and I thought they should have one day that he walked out into the parking lot with me and handed me one off his truck before going back in to fix the shelf controls and orders so that they would have in the future. Don't remember what it was now, maybe a duplex connector. His deal was that he picked up as many of their install jobs as he wanted, and they supported that because it helped build traffic.

The guy with the ponytail in the plumbing section who, among other things, runs the power pony to custom cut and thread anything you need that isn't in the bins of ready-cut lengths is one of my go-to advice sources.

Licensing here is about as strict as it gets. Typically 10 years to a Masters, apprenticeship required, business studies required, passing a business exam as well as the codes test required, professional bond required for the business. Many other states reciprocate us.

I get asked questions like that too, Larry. Makes for respect both ways.

Old 02-13-13, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I'm in our store at 0700 nearly every day when we need something for a job. When I arrive at 0730, they are looking to dock my pay , making comments as I go down the aisles...."you're late". As if I worked there.

Old 02-13-13, 05:19 PM
I don't exactly frequent any of the big boxes, but when I do I prefer HD as their prices seem to be a little better in all departments. When there I always make it a point to hit the electrical aisles just to see what they have and look at a few prices. What I have noticed is they do not have an abundance of people working in the electrical department, sometimes no one is even there.