3-way wiring problem

Old 02-12-13, 06:28 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3-way wiring problem

I have an issue with a two 3-way switches controlling an overhead light. The switches were going bad, only worked part of the time, so I changed them out. Both boxes have 2 black and 1 red wire to the switch. The light works now, but one switch seems to control the other- the one must be "on" for the other switch to work. I tried changing some of the wire positions on the new switches and now the situation is the same, but the second switch now controls the first. In other words, both switches operate the light, but only if one of the switches is in a certain position. How can I fix this so they work regardless of the position of the other switch?

Old 02-12-13, 07:31 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Did you connect the correct wire to the common of the new switch? Position of the common terminal varies with the manufacturer so you must use screw color (usually dark gray) not screw position when swapping out.

Do you have a two conductor cable in each box. Is one of those cables hot when checked with a multimeter (but not a non contact tester).

If I had to guess I'd say the red is common and the two blacks are your travelers (brass screws). You might try making that assumption and testing.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-12-13 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 11:06 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Let me make sure I understand. Check each wire with one probe of multi-meter while other probe is touching ground wire. Wire that is hot gets connected to non-brass terminal on new switch. Is that correct?

Old 02-12-13, 11:23 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Correction on my post you responded to. Do you have a two conductor cable in one of the boxes that is hot and a two conductor cable that isn't in the other box?

Last edited by ray2047; 02-12-13 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 03:39 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How can I fix this so they work regardless of the position of the other switch?
By connecting the power to the common terminal on one of the switches, the load to the common on the other switch, and the two travelers on each switch with straight wiring from switch to switch.

Both boxes have 2 black and 1 red wire to the switch.
Do you have cables or conduit? Are there any white wires or any ground wires in the boxes, or just red and black?

Check each wire with one probe of multi-meter while other probe is touching ground wire. Wire that is hot gets connected to non-brass terminal on new switch. Is that correct?\
Yes, and there should be only one hot wire out of all six, if you took everything apart to test.

Connect the other two wires in that box to the two (brass, usually) traveler terminals.

In the other box, connect the two traveler wires to the traveler terminals and connect the wire going to the light to the common terminal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: