Exposed Romex in attached garage

Old 02-12-13, 03:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exposed Romex in attached garage

Looking for a way to safely and coded to conceal these romex wires. They are running from the garage attic into an interior living space. Can i just box it with sheetrock to protect them?

By the way they were ran this way becase of no access to drill down into wall. Hard to explain but this was only option.

Attached Images   
Old 02-12-13, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
You could put a small piece of 2x4 in the corner and nail them to it. Patch hole.
Boxing it with sheetrock is perfectly acceptable too.

Normally you would cut a chase in the sheetrock on the wall and the ceiling as wide as the wires. Staple wires to the studs in the corner. Patch over.

Old 02-12-13, 08:07 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What is the white wire running across the ceiling and down next to the door, and what are you planning to do with it?

If I found this on a job, I would put them in the wall. Since you don't want to do that, you can enlarge the hole in the ceiling to get rid of the bundling, spread the wires across a piece of wood and staple them, and probably leave them in the open, because of the white wire. But it depends on what your inspector will accept.

they were ran this way becase of no access to drill down into wall. Hard to explain but this was only option.
Right. Can you tell us a little more about that?

Old 02-13-13, 04:40 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You'll also want to seal the holes. It's in a garage, so you don't want car exhaust getting into the living space.

Old 02-13-13, 04:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The small wire is probably for a garage door opener...... will wait on confirmation

Old 02-13-13, 04:49 AM
J
Thank you for the replies guys.

The main reason I couldnt fish in the wall is because of a gas pipe running in the attic along corner where the wall meets the ceiling. Thats why i didnt notch out wall to ceiling. The garage is an addition to my two story house.

The white wires are for my garage door opener. I always do the safest and neatest work when it comes to electrical. This is why this job urks me. I will put a 2x4 in corner and nail to it. And guess just box out with sheetrock to conceal.

Thanks again for advice.

Old 02-13-13, 08:25 AM
Not sure why you couldn't wire over or under the gas pipe. Regardless, just be sure to widen the hole in the ceiling so you can separate the cables before securing them.

How will you work the wire for the GDO around the nailing block and through the drywall?

Old 02-13-13, 03:46 PM
J
Will widen hole to seperate the cables. I can route the GDO wires in attic before bumpout and back down. GDO switch is three feet down from that area.

Old 02-13-13, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a plan. Are you sure you want to take the GDO cable up through the ceiling and back down? You'll be doing a lot more work and you'll still have it penetrating drywall twice. Why not just notch and caulk around it? You can build it sort of a chase inside the box you're building if you mount the wood you'll need close to it but not touching it.

Besides, the disappearance and reappearance of that cable won't be as confusing...

Wait... did you mean take it up a.s.a.p.? Like straight out of the GDO? OK, that would make a neater job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: