Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Off-Grid Solar Panel Setup for lights, electric fence, etc...

Old 02-16-13, 04:38 AM

Hello, I have put together a diagram of the setup I intend to have for a hut / cabin. It will be on a farm, and an electric fence energizer will be included. Just wanted to know anyone's opinion of this setup and any criticisms, or recommendations anyone has.

I will be posting the diagram as a .png in this post, but I the PowerPoint version can be found here at http://www.filedropper.com/diagram OR Diagram - Download - 4shared so that you can download it and zoom right in / make any changes / click on the bit.ly links to the eBay pages.

Thanks!

Name:  Electrical Diagram.jpg
Views: 29847
Size:  49.7 KB

Last edited by StevenCumming; 02-16-13 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-13, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Your link to your PP diagram does not work. Only goes to the filedropper site, not the diagram.

Old 02-16-13, 06:49 AM
Thanks!,

Click on Download this file, and then enter the captcha, should start downloading. I have now included a link to a 4shared page. I used to be able to get a direct link from them, but now they have made it a "premium feature". No use in buying something I use twice a year.

Last edited by StevenCumming; 02-16-13 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Modifications to links
Old 02-16-13, 08:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll basically have to figure your load and the amphour rating of the battery. You don't need lights in the daytime, so solar power won't help there. The Gallagher will pulsate 8000 volts every few seconds, so the solar can help in the daytime. Cows sleep at night, so go figure why you would need battery for that. I've just been the fence charger route with my cattle farm.

Old 02-16-13, 09:05 AM
Battery is rated for 100 amp hours, which is overkill for electric fences anyway, without the solar panel they can run for weeks without the battery running low. I will end up installing a speaker system, attempt a peltier cooler for drinks / some food maybe, and more lights. One day maybe even a small TV! The hut will probably not be used during the week, more of a weekend thing so if I run the battery flat over the weekend it has all week to charge up anyway. Electric fence energizers only use electricity when they are actually shocking something, the rest of the time they use hardly any so I'm not really concerned if it is on during the night.

Old 02-16-13, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome from down under

Nice diagram and well thought out. Should work pretty good for your application.

Old 02-17-13, 05:45 AM
You should have a combiner box with the proper rated DC breaker(s) located at the panels or as close as possible to protect the wiring into the charge controller and also as a means to kill the power from the panels should the need arise to service the system. What are the specs on the panels, imp, vmp,watts and will you be wiring them in series or parallel?

Do not use breakers rated for AC current.

Also I see no fuse for the fence unit. There are fuses you can attach right to the battery stud.

I'm not familiar with that charge controller. I've never seen one where you connect your loads directly to the controller, the lights and future expansion in your diagram. What is the rating on that load connection on the controller in watts or amps? I assume the 15A rating is the battery charging rate?

Old 02-17-13, 06:16 AM
For maximum battery life you do not want to use more than 20% of the AH rating before recharging. In the case of your 100AH battery that would be 20AH at 12V or 240 watt hours.

A TV drawing 120 watts at 12V would go for 2 hours on that battery. You can go up to 50% discharge but it is recommended you not do that often, for maximum battery life.

Just food for thought. Depending on the power consumption of your cooler and TV, you may need to add more batteries and panels.

The panel ratings can be misleading as well as they are for perfect conditions which you almost never have over the full span of 4 to 6 hour optimal charge time each day. You can expect roughly 70% of your 240 watts or 168 +/- watts actual output x 5 hours = 840 watt hours = 70 amp hours @ 12v. That's on a good day with clear skies.

You have to know the power consumption of your loads and the daily hours of use of the loads first and then design your system to meet the demand. Looks fine for your initial use of fence charger and LED lights, but questionable as to what you could add to it without upgrading.