Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Proper Grounding and installation of 200 amp service (CEC requirements)

Old 02-18-13, 01:25 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am reposting this thread because I forgot one detail and I wanted to specify CEC in the subject. Please disregard the original post (is it possible to delete the original post?)

New Post:

I want to clarify how to properly ground and install a 120/240 200A service (based on CEC code requirements). Here are two scenarios:

1) Install system grounding conductor in meter base by running insulated copper wire from meter base to ground rods (or ground plate) and bond to system neutral on service side of meter base. From the meter base run 2 black and one white to combination panel with main disconnect. Neutral lug is bonded to ground bar in 200 A combination panel. System is properly grounded.

2) In house with copper water main install system grounding conductor in 200 A combination panel by running insulated green wire to copper water pipe and attaching using an appropriate connector. From the meter base run 2 black and one white to combination panel with main disconnect. Neutral lug is bonded to ground bar in 200 A combination panel. System is properly grounded.

For any additional sub-panels you would run 2 black, 1 white and a green from the main panel to the sub-panel and disconnect bonding between the neutral bar and the ground bar in the sub-panel. This ensures the neutral does not have two separate system grounding points.

Are the two scenarios I have identified correct?

Please let me know.

AF, NB Canada

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2LHuzv7k6

Old 02-18-13, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
You can update your original thread any time you need to with a new post. Most of us (at least I do) read the thread thru to completion.

I looked for your original post and it appears that, at your request, it was deleted.

So to re-answer your question.
I'm not an authority on Canadian code but here in the States.....grounding wires are not run in or thru the meter. They are brought in separately to the main service panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: