Replacing dimmers with switches in 3-way double gang box

Old 02-18-13, 12:56 PM
Replacing dimmers with switches in 3-way double gang box

Hello All-

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. As you'll be able to tell from my descriptions, I am new to electric work.

THE GOAL
The basement of the house I recently bought has lots of overhead spots in two separate banks. There are dimmers on both banks and I'd like to replace them with regular switches so I can use CFLs. I bought 2 Leviton 5603 switches.

BACKGROUND
There are two separate banks of the lights - each controlled in multiple places. Both banks are controlled (separately) from two dimmers in a double-gang box. One bank - let's call it #1 - is also controlled from one other location. Bank #2 is controlled from two other locations. Here's my sketch if that description didn't help
Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 4270
Size:  29.3 KB

WHY I'M STUCK
The double-gang box where I want to replace dimmers with switches has three bundles of wires entering. I have documented how the dimmers are wired. However, the dimmers have wires 'pre-attached' and the switches I bought just have screw attachments. I can't just replicate what I see with the existing dimmers. I need some guidance on how to connect the new switches.

COMING INTO THE BOX
Bundle #1 -White/black/red/copper
Bundle #2 - White/black/copper
Bundle #3 - White/black/red/copper
Name:  photo (3).jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  39.7 KB

Again - thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide.

-Jacob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-13, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The old 3ways should have an odd colored screw or wire. Move it to the odd colored screw on the new switch. Restore power and test from all locations. If correct, continue with the other switches.

Old 02-18-13, 06:55 PM
Jacob, the picture of a bunch of wires doesn't provide us with any information about the purpose of each wire. That's what all of us, including, most importantly, you, will need to know in order to help you.

The 2-conductor cable in this 2-gang box is either the feed from the panel or one of the light feeds. How is the black wire in that cable connected?