Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

100 amp service - can't take out circuit breakers to replace HELP

Old 02-20-13, 08:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

how come i can't take these circuit breakers out to replace them...

it has these odd looking screws holding down what appears to be a plate holding in the breakers

why are the screw heads looking like they are purposely damaged?

how do i get the breakers out?

HELP

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-13, 08:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is this a Zinsco panel? If not what make and model?

Old 02-20-13, 09:00 PM
J
It is a zinsco

i added a photo of the screw

Old 02-20-13, 09:09 PM
If it is a Zinsco you need a new panel not a new breaker. They went out of business many years ago because the breakers are unsafe. Maybe the pros will be along with a way to get the breakers out but finding a replacement breaker that is safe to use and doesn't cost an arm and a leg will be difficult. Zinsco Sylvania Kearney Electrical Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards, Failures, Inspection, Detection, Repair, Replacement - Sylvania Zinsco circuit breakers and panel hazards

Old 02-21-13, 01:32 PM
Received 60 Votes on 51 Posts
Ray is right, just replace the old Zinsco panel, they are a fire hazard and the only breakers available for them aren't U.L. Listed. I don't recognize your picture, exactly what is it?

Old 02-21-13, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is that screw in a toggle that holds the cover on? It is made that way to defeat non-professional access to the breakers and wiring inside.

I have a screwdriver that will turn those screws. I would pull it out and use it to gain access in order to disconnect the wiring before removing the panel.

There's a reason Zinsco panels disappeared many years ago.

Old 02-23-13, 09:45 AM
J
yes that screw holds on the plate... WOW im confused.. you are saying i can't replace the breaker on this thing? They sell the breakers on EBAY... but there is no way of getting those screws off the bracket to put a new breaker in? this is bad! how much to put on a new panel?

Old 02-23-13, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Costs vary based on location and materials used as well as labor costs. Get three estimates from locally licensed and recommended contractors.

Old 02-23-13, 01:01 PM
L
Living with Zinsco

Connecticut Electric seems to have a lock on Zinsco-compatible breakers. The 100A UBIZ-2100 two-pole breaker is available from Home Depot for $179 or from a variety of sellers on Amazon from $109 to $122. I believe that the $109 price is from Electronic Surplus Depot. If ESD is a brick-and-mortar store, you might be able to get a price-match discount from Home Depot. That way you might get a new breaker for a lower price. You might try a home Depot that is busy and short-handed!

Connecticut Electric is not UL-listed but the UBIZ-2100 says "Conforms to UL Standard 489" on the package.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-13, 01:29 PM
Well at least you have screws. I had a Zinsco panel with a bar riveted across them. No main breaker so no way I was going to follow the instructions of one electrician to cut the hes off with a hammer and chisel. As Nash said they do make drivers for removing safety screws but the problem is anything you as a replacement would be of unproven quality.

Depending on your local jurisdiction you may be able to pull a permit and replace the box yourself. Cost of materials won't be much more then the cost of a couple of Zinsco breakers. Is this a 60 amp or a 100 amp breaker box? If no main breaker then almost certainly a 60 amp breaker box and things get a bit more complicated.

Can you pull back and give us a picture of the whole box with the dead front removed? Is there another box with a breaker or fuses ahead of this one?

Old 02-23-13, 01:45 PM
J
This is a 100 amp box and it does have a main power circuit to shut everything down..

why would they make such a stupid piece of equipment with individual circuit breakers if you can't replace any... ? this makes no sense

Old 02-23-13, 05:30 PM
Received 60 Votes on 51 Posts
why would they make such a stupid piece of equipment with individual circuit breakers if you can't replace any... ? this makes no sense
Back in the day they were very competitively priced and they sold millions of them to contractors bidding subdivision tract houses (Competitively priced is just the politically correct way of saying cheap). There is a reason Zinsco was failing and sold out to Sylvania; you just found it. With the bad design, Sylvania couldn't make a go with it either. Sylvania did, however, have another design that eventually turned into the Challenger line when some executives from Sylvania actually bought the business as it was going down the tubes. You see, if the design actually was a good design and made sense, it most likely would still be around today.