When pluging in saws lights dim

Old 02-21-13, 03:57 AM
When pluging in saws lights dim

The house has circuit breakers.The one line we were using was 20 amp,nothing plugged in on that line and I was using a 10 in chop saw.When ever we used the saw the lights would dim.The lights were not on the same circuit.The same happen when we used a electric dry was driver on a different circuit. The lights would dim on a different floor and different circuit. I have tried to tighten all screws in main box.I did change the breaker from a single to a double (meaning I put two breakers in the one spot,both 20 amps.I have tried to use saw and dry wall driver on other circuits and the same thing happens. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-13, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Do you mean dims for a few seconds or stays dim for as long as the tool is in use?

Old 02-21-13, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like your service is experiencing voltage drop from the loads. Some dimming is normal. The transformer may be under sized.

Old 02-27-13, 03:49 AM
The lights dim just for a second or two.When the saw is just starting.

Old 02-27-13, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The saw is causing the voltage to drop slightly due to the inrush current of starting a motor. The problem could be in your house or up on the pole.

Old 02-27-13, 10:21 AM
Do you mean you split up 2 circuits?

"I did change the breaker from a single to a double (meaning I put two breakers in the one spot,both 20 amps."

Last edited by stickshift; 02-27-13 at 10:33 AM. Reason: removed link inputted by the copying process
Old 02-28-13, 05:11 AM
I took out one breaker and installed a double breaker into the same spot I took out.The double breaker has two tips (might not be right word) that either one will trip if you short out the breaker.

Old 02-28-13, 07:48 AM
Group Moderator
The double breaker has two tips (might not be right word) that either one will trip if you short out the breaker.
Do you mean the handles are tied together?

Old 02-28-13, 08:54 AM
I took out one breaker and installed a double breaker into the same spot I took out.The double breaker has two tips (might not be right word) that either one will trip if you short out the breaker.
It is difficult to get a clear picture of what you did. More information should help.

What is the make and model of your distribution panel?

What was the size, protection level and designation of the breaker you removed?

What is (are) the size(s), protection level(s) and designation(s) of the breaker(s) you installed?

By "double breaker" do you mean a two tandem breakers, a piggyback breaker, a two-pole 240V breaker or a linked pair of 120V breakers?

Can you post some pictures of your panel showing the box with the cables or conduit leading into it, if it's surface mounted. the label on the inside of the door, and the breaker you installed, with the cover off to show the wiring? See How To Put Pictures In Your Post.