Electric steam irón

Old 02-21-13, 02:44 PM
Electric steam irón

Hopefully a simple question
I have a steam irón of 1600 watts 220/240 volts.
When the water tank is empty or near empty i unplug the irón and take it to the kitchen tap to refill.
the capacity is about 1/2 pint and lasts about 30 minutes.
i have been told it is uneconomical to unplug the irón and replug it in after refill and that it uses much less electricity to leave it plugged in and make 2 trips to the kitchen to fill a small filling jug provided.
Is this true? And if so why?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-13, 02:54 PM
Welcome to the forums!

i have been told it is uneconomical to unplug the irón and replug it in after refill and that it uses much less electricity to leave it plugged in and make 2 trips to the kitchen to fill a small filling jug provided.
Is this true? And if so why?
That sounds true. When you unplug the iron it stops maintaining the heat it had built up. When you plug it back in it has to build that heat back up. You may have noticed that you have to wait a minute or so for the iron to get back to the proper temperature after refilling it.

It takes more electricity to heat the iron up than to maintain the temperature once it's reached. That said, unless you do a LOT of ironing, the difference is probably only pennies per year.

I think I might just use a standard measuring cup so that I could carry a half pint in one trip.

Old 02-21-13, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
And leaving it plugged in when the water is gone or near gone could cause the heating element to burn out.

Just get a 1qt pitcher or 1ltr water bottle of some sort and keep it nearby.

Btw...distilled water will greatly prolong the life of your iron. No mineral buildup.

Old 02-21-13, 04:21 PM
Btw...distilled water will greatly prolong the life of your iron. No mineral buildup.
An excellent point. Shows how long it's been since we used ours!

We do fill our steamer with distilled water, though.

Old 02-21-13, 04:31 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. Appreciate comments. The irón s been running on tap water for 20 years and still going strong possibly because we are in a soft water área here. I know my parents used distilled water living in hard water área in uk.

David

Old 02-21-13, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Have you thought of keeping a capped jug of your tap water handy for the iron?