Found damaged cable, how to fix?

Old 02-23-13, 02:03 PM
Found damaged cable, how to fix?

I pulled down a drop ceiling over a basement bathroom and discovered this damaged cable. It is feeding a junction box that is providing power to various lights in the basement. The electrical panel is about 10 feet away, not a long run. The pictures show the only damaged section.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace the entire length with new Romex? I'm open to everyone's thoughts... This was an unwelcome surprise.

Name:  Damaged Cable 1.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  19.7 KBName:  Damaged Cable 2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  23.5 KBName:  Damaged Cable 3.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  29.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
It's old style cloth covered non metallic cable. With age the cloth has become old and brittle. Not really unsafe but no real way to fix it.

At this point it may just be easier to replace the short runs with romex.

Old 02-23-13, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
The insulation around the conductors appear to be undamaged, so I would tend to leave it unless it would be rather easy to replace it.

Old 02-23-13, 07:23 PM
I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace the entire length with new Romex? I'm open to everyone's thoughts... This was an unwelcome surprise.
I would replace the damaged cable if it doesn't have a ground wire in it. I would leave it as it is if it does have a ground wire.

Your closeup [picture shows what appears to be a ground wire.

Old 02-24-13, 06:04 AM
That's what I got from the photo too, Nashkat. If the ground wire is the only one exposed there's no reason to worry.

Old 02-24-13, 10:41 AM
Thank you everyone. I'll plan to leave it as is then, unless I get really bored someday. It would be a pain to replace, but not th end of the work.

Yes it is grounded and that is a ground wire you see exposed. Next time I get out the multimeter I'll verify good ground on the circuit just to make sure the ground wire has continuity.

Thanks again!