Which power Inverter is needed?

Old 02-23-13, 03:14 PM
Which power Inverter is needed?

So, last year we went on a camping trip and I had an power inverter and when I plugged my air mattress plug into it, it wouldn't blow up the air mattress. In fact, it totally blew the adapter and was fried the rest of the trip.

I'm looking to buy a new inverter and wondering what running/peak watts I should be looking at? I saw quite a few at Walmart.com but I don't really understand what the manual is saying....

Aerobed manual says:
Plug into standard polarized 110VAC electrical outlet
North American electrical rating: 120VAC 60 Hz 1.4A

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Then you need an inverter that puts out 120 volts at 2 amps or more (approximately 250 watts or more).

Old 02-23-13, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not attempt it with anything less than 750W running. Inverters HATE to be run near full capacity. You want to size it for at least double the maximum load. In case of a motor, you want to triple it.

Old 02-23-13, 04:56 PM
I have a Vector 750 running watt 1500 peak surge inverter that I got to keep a self feeding coal stove running in the event of a power failure. It has a shutdown fault mode with tone alarm in the event of the load exceeding it's rating.

Most of the truck stops like Pilot, Loves and Petrol along the interstates sell them. Not sure how their pricing is though compared to other merchants. I'd stay away from the cheap Wally World Chinese crap.

I'm guessing yours had the leads with the small jumper cable type clamps to connect to the battery, but IF it was hard wired to the battery you will need to upgrade to thicker wire if you upgrade to a higher capacity inverter.

A 100 watt inverter draws 8.5 amps @ 12v. If you go to 750 watts you may be tempted to use that extra capacity. I can run a 4 cup drip coffeemaker on mine and there's nothing better than a fresh brewed cup o joe first thing in the morning while you're out "roughing it".

Thing is 750 watts @ 12v is 62.5 amps. Depending on the ampacity chart you reference, that will require 8 AWG or 6 AWG size wire as well as the proper size fuse preferably right at the battery connection to handle the current.

I'd hate to hear your car or camper went up in flames, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 02-23-13, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
A 12 volt inflator makes more sense and would probably cost less than an inverter.

Old 02-23-13, 08:24 PM
Aerobeds don't work that way. The inflator is built into the mattress, you can't use a separate inflator.

Oh and Crispy? Vector IS a cheap Chinese brand..

Old 02-23-13, 09:04 PM
I use a 1500W inverter with a Group 24 Deep cycle battery, and 2 45W solar kits.
Runs my laptop, fans, and a string of LED lights all night, then a coffeemaker and toaster in the morning. I'm currently working on a propane backup for rainy days.

Old 02-23-13, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
A propane fired coffeemaker and toaster in one attractive package

Old 02-24-13, 12:50 AM
Yeah, unfortunately Aerobed's have their own pumps built in. They were the only mattress that gave us a problem.

@Justin Smith I'll keep those in mind when I'm browsing online. Gotta love the 5-star camping
I never even thought of solar kits.... Not that I would have any idea what to do if I had one!

Old 02-24-13, 04:53 AM
@ JerseyMatt LOL Vector was acquired by Black & Decker in 2006 so if they do come from China it's just another example of how our government has sold our manufacturing heritage to the highest (lowest?) bidders.

Old 02-24-13, 04:25 PM
LOL!! Black & Decker has been making their branded products in China since the mid-late 90's (you can thank Bill Clinton for that). Every brand they acquire is made in their China factories, including Stanley (one of the former flagship "Made in the USA" products), Porter-Cable, and DeWalt.

Vector products have always been made in China.