Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring Help Needed- 3 way, Switched Outlet, Power Outlet, Source - Same Box

Old 02-24-13, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

It was working. I took it apart and mislabeled something and can't get it to work again.

From panel- 14-3
14-2 to straight outlet string of 2 receptacles
14-2 to two lights on a three way, and a separate switched outlet

There are three wires total coming into the box.
The 14-2 basically is functioning as the lead for two lights and a switched outlet. The lights are switched elsewhere too. A 3way and single pole are controlling that 14-2.
Then there is the wire from the adjoining additional outlets that receives its power from the same source as the rest of the box.

I need to wire a single 14-3 from the panel, feeding power to both the lights/switched outlet and additional outlets, in conjunction with the 14-2 that controls the lights and switched outlet, between two different switches 3way & single), all in the same box. I know it's possible, as stated it used to work.... Help please.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-13, 10:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There are three wires total coming into the box.
Don't you mean three cables? A wire is a single conductor.

From panel- 14-3
Unlikely. From the panel you would expect a 2-conductor cable. More likely it is the cable between the two three way switches. The 2-conductor cable is either power in or power out to the light.

Above assumes this is not a multiiwire circuit. That is the only time you would use a 3-conductor cable on 120 volt general purpose wiring.

Old 02-24-13, 10:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
It's a little confusing but you seem to be missing a wire.

You have a 14-3 feed from the panel ??
A 14-2 feeding two lights and a receptacle
Another 14-2 feeding just two receptacles

Where is the 14-3 going to the second three way switch ?

Old 02-25-13, 01:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My guess is power comes in from the panel at one of the switches, and there is 14/3 between switch 1 and switch 2.. The 14/3 presumably contains a switch leg and a constant hot for the circuits in the ceiling box...

That's just my opinion though, we would need clarification from the OP as to what each switch box contains..

Old 02-25-13, 01:12 PM
Clarification: I can retrace the cables (to use the terminology from a previous reply), but based on meter readings, the 14-3, odd as it might seem, is the power feed from the panel into the switch box.

Let's go with the assumption I am wrong, and the cable which is a 14-2 is the line that comes to the box as the power source. If this is the case, how would I wire accordingly?

There were pigtails and jumpered/bridged wires between the switches... I didn't keep track of them properly.

From the easiest to the most confusing, I have, at the double gang box, a cable that comes from a set of outlets requiring a leg of power in this mess. Then, I have two cables coming from above, one goes to the panel, the other to the lights and switched outlet. I have two switches in the mix, one single pole, the other 3way.

Somehow, with a single cable for power, this box was providing power and switching to what could be classified as 3 different things: outlets, a switched outlet (single pole switch for this one), and two ceiling fans (3 way for these). The lights and switched outlet are receiving power from another line/circuit not involved here.

I

Old 02-25-13, 01:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Somehow, with a single cable for power, this box was providing power and switching to what could be classified as 3 different things: outlets, a switched outlet (single pole switch for this one), and two ceiling fans (3 way for these). The lights and switched outlet are receiving power from another line/circuit not involved here
In the beginning of the first sentence you write there is one power source but in the second sentence you say there is a second power source. I don't understand. Can you explain more fully.

I can retrace the cables (to use the terminology from a previous reply), but based on meter readings, the 14-3, odd as it might seem, is the power feed from the panel into the switch box.
If you used a non contact tester your results are meaningless. If you used a multimeter (preferably analog) what are the following results for the cable you believe is power in:
  • Black to White
  • Red to white
  • Red to Black
  • White to Ground
  • Red to Ground
  • Black to Ground

Several other questions but lets get answers to these first.