Pump Issues

Old 02-27-13, 12:27 PM
Pump Issues

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of bypassing a pumphouse sub panel and hooking up 120v directly to a pump, as we had some issues last week that took down the main (shop) panel that supplied it. The pumphouse sub panel and pump are wired for 240v, but it looks as if though it can be made to draw 120v, and I have cable enough to make it down to the pump house. I am a little unsure; however, of the possible consequences of connecting directly to the pump if there is a metallic path between the pump house and the house in which the other (working) main breaker is located. Can anyone shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-13, 01:33 PM
Your bigger problem will be voltage drop. Reconnecting the pump motor to use 120 volts will mean that it also draws twice the amperage as it did using 240 volts. You will have four times the voltage drop over the length of cable from the house to the pump and that could under some circumstances burn out the pump motor.

Old 02-27-13, 02:11 PM
Thank you, Furd.
we have a new upgrade pump that we were planning to install on the day the brownout took everything down, but until we install a new panel and main breaker in the shop (2 weeks potentially) I will be unable to supply 240v to either it or the old pump. My main concern in supplying the pump w/ 120 from the household supply is the possibility of the piping to the house acting as a ground in the event of a fault. My plan is basically to run the extension cables to the available end of original 3 line feeder cables (Bad news, I know, we'll be replacing that when we redo the shop panel) then wire from that directly to the pump. The 120 would be supplied from a GFCI 15 amp breaker if it makes any difference. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a rookie with this kind of stuff. Thanks again for the input!

Old 02-27-13, 03:50 PM
Whoa! Back up a bit. I am assuming this is a deep well pump so if it is either a shallow well or a jet pump please let me know. Then tell me the power requirements on your pump, the voltage and amperage requirements. How far from the source of the electricity (main panel in house?) is the pump? What size wire or cable do you have for the temporary power?

It seems as if you want to connect some wire/cable to the original wires/cable that ran to the pump house. Was this originally an overhead run and it was somehow broken? You mention a brownout, when was this and what caused it?

Maybe it would be best to tell me in detail what you used to have, what you now have and what happened to put you in the current predicament.