Kitchen Wall-mount Hood Installation Issue...need help!

Old 02-27-13, 08:48 PM
Kitchen Wall-mount Hood Installation Issue...need help!

Hi all, first time poster here and he reason why I'm coming here first is because I'm stubborn and don't like paying somebody to do something that I might be able to do. If this is out of my ability (which it looks like), I will be more than willing.

Name:  help.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  16.9 KB.

(red rectangle is the area the chimney cover would hide)

What I was trying to accomplish in the image was flip the receptacle to the other side of the wood piece so I could plug my hood into the outlet directly and keep it hidden (beneath chimney cover).

I didn't anticipate running into the tube (water line?) that partially gets in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation? Common sense tells me it isn't wise to move the receptacle...I don't really know what to do. Any help or suggestion is appreciated!

Additional information:
-Range Hood brand is Cavaliere sv218z-30 and it comes with a plug

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-13, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the forums!

The box for the receptacle and the cable feeding that box cannot touch the water pipe. Can you add wood to that side of the stud to allow you to mount the box further over and avoid that conflict?

Old 02-27-13, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you think there are any potential issues of doing that? If not, I might get started tomorrow.

Anybody else have input? Appreciate the help.

Do you

Old 02-27-13, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
I'm looking at your picture ? Is that an actual picture because I can't see any definition in what you are doing.

Is the pink area .... chimney cover ? .... the cover for the exhaust line.
I see the water line, I see where the receptacle was. I think I see where you want to move it to.
Hard to tell where the beams are.

Old 02-27-13, 11:27 PM
See the inserted image (the water line is actually a few inches back).

Name:  2013-02-27_20-22-38_716.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  23.1 KB

Let me know what you think. I know the pic quality isn't the greatest but it was shot with my phone + flash in the dark.

Yes, the pink box is where the cover would go.

Old 02-28-13, 12:35 AM
Group Moderator
Just bring the cable out where you want the box slightly past the pipe when you Sheetrock then cut an opening for an old work box over enough to clear the pipe.

Old 02-28-13, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since the hood is cord and plug connected it should have a dedicated circuit.

There would be no NEC issue with the box touching a plastic water line.

Old 02-28-13, 07:00 AM
There would be no NEC issue with the box touching a plastic water line.
Right. I was seeing it as a copper pipe when I wrote my earlier comment. And thinking of the box as metal.

Old 02-28-13, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even if both were metallic there would be no code issue. Might not be best practice tho.

Old 02-28-13, 09:40 AM
It sounds like there will not be an issue just moving it to the opposite side of the wood piece. Does the box need to be plastic as well?

There isn't a lot of give on the water line. I can push it back far enough to make room but it will be pressing up against the box once that's installed.

Thank you all for the suggestions and info.

Here are a few more images of the wall and the hood:

Name:  2013-02-28_07-34-43_352.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  22.4 KBName:  2013-02-28_07-35-55_464.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  36.7 KB

Old 02-28-13, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
How much slack in the cable do you have to move it? Since the cable comes from above how much higher can you go with the new box to give you slack. I still think just running the cable through the Sheetrock when it is installed and cutting a hole after the fact for a old work box just past the water pipe may be simplest.

Old 02-28-13, 12:04 PM
Even if both were metallic there would be no code issue. Might not be best practice tho.
I would not mount a metal box in direct contact with a metal water line for a number of reasons, even if the code doesn't address it. I also wouldn't mount a box in a location where it would deflect a water pipe.

Just sayin'.

Old 02-28-13, 12:11 PM
It sounds like there will not be an issue just moving it to the opposite side of the wood piece. Does the box need to be plastic as well?

There isn't a lot of give on the water line. I can push it back far enough to make room but it will be pressing up against the box once that's installed.
Ray's suggestion of moving the cables to the other side of the stud and installing an old work box into the new drywall, away from the water pipe, is the preferable solution. The old work box can be either metal or plastic.

That said, the receptacle, and the plug attachment, must be accessible after everything is finished. For that reason, the common location for the receptacle is in the back of the cabinet above the hood. It cannot be mounted behind the hood unless you can reach in and unplug it with the hood in place.

Old 02-28-13, 12:29 PM
Nashkat1, thanks.

I do not have a cabinet on top of the hood. It is all wall up to the ceiling. My plan was to cover the receptacle (with the hood plugged in) using the hood cover. I imagine this is not up to code. Any suggestions?

Old 02-28-13, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A 4x4 device box with a 1/2" plaster ring looks like it would fit there without deflecting the water line.

Old 02-28-13, 03:13 PM
pcboss, can you elaborate on that (or link me to some guide)?

I've never used one before; can the plug remain hidden?

I'

Old 02-28-13, 04:49 PM
can the plug remain hidden?
No. Is there a location, and a method of getting the cord to it, shown on the installation sheet for the hood?

From the installation instructions for the Cavaliere 218 Series:

It is the customer’s responsibility:
• To contact a qualified electrical installer.
• To assure that the electrical installation is adequate and in conformance with National Electrical Code,
ANSI/NFPA 70 — latest edition*, or CSA Standards C22. 1-94, Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1 and C22. 2 No. 0-M91 - latest edition** and all local codes and ordinances.
The range hood should be connected directly to the fused disconnect (or circuit breaker) box through flexible armored or non-metallic sheathed copper cable. A U.L. - or C.S.A. - listed strain relief must be provided at each end of the power supply cable.
No receptacle, no cord, no plug.

Old 02-28-13, 05:33 PM
Why would they supply a plug if the instructions say it should be directly fused? doe does that mean?

Old 02-28-13, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect the hood has a trim cover that dresses up the ductwork. I see no reason the receptacle cannot be mounted in the area covered by the trim. I read the instructions, but like others they seem like they were written by someone without a clue of electrical knowledge.

Old 02-28-13, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about hiding it under the trim cover - and yes, this hood does have one.

Why would they supply a plug if the instructions say it should be directly fused?
They didn't say it should be directly fused, they said it should be directly connected. But yes, that's still the question. And who knows? They don't, from reading through the full instructions.

I would mount the old work box so that it is covered by the vertical cover cone, plug the hood in there and call it good.