Best panel to supply feeds from

Old 02-28-13, 10:21 AM
Best panel to supply feeds from

Hello Y'all,

Thank you in advance for all your insight and help.

Planning to remodel the kitchen.

The question: Which panel would be the best to pull from to supply power to dishwasher, disposal, refrig, OTR microwave, etc.

The setup: Main breaker panel is at the back of the house. A subpanel is about 60' away in the garage fed by a 100a breaker. Kitchen is next to garage. Presently have everything 120v in the kitchen+ on about 2? breakers (1970's style). Sub panel also supplies electric oven, electric range, electric dryer, clothes washer and various lights and outlets on that side of the house.

Since there is a tremendous power draw through the sub, I thought maybe I should go back to the main panel and pull some 120v HR's to the various kitchen circuits instead of splitting them off in the sub. We have never had a breaker trip but, the lights do dim when some of the "hogs" are turned on. Even lights outside the kitchen and dinning that come through the sub are affected. I understand that dimming can be a symptom of neutral line connections.

I have room for additional breakers in each panel.

Thanks for the input!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-13, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
What size is the main panel?

Old 02-28-13, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the forums!

In addition to the answer to Ray's question, doing a Residential Load Calculation for the subpanel by itself should help you answer this question.

Old 02-28-13, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer to keep the larger loads in the service panel and move the smaller ones to a subpanel.