Some Beginner Questions

Old 03-01-13, 10:22 AM
Some Beginner Questions

Hello Everyone -
I am new to this forum and excited to read through everyones posts. I am wiring a new building and have a couple of questions. To preface I am having a professional electrician walk me through the process but it has been very hard to get in touch with him over the past couple of weeks and thought that I would at least try to get some answers on the internet world. The building is very small and the electrical will only be power 8-12 outlets and 5-6 switches. My two big ones are:

1) How many plugs and switches should I run on each circuit? Is it good to place as many as I can, given the safe amp load, or should I split up the circuits pertaining to designated rooms or spaces?

2) Should I use 20 amp or 15 amp circuit breakers? 20 or 15 amp outlets/switches?

I know these are very basic questions but after spending many hours on the internet I couldn't find any solid answers. Thought I would at least throw them out there.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-13, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
The answer to all your questions is: It depends on the load. Lightly loaded circuits like some lighting circuits can be 15 amps. If this is a commercial building best practice 20 amp receptacle circuits. Any large loads ~8 amps or greater best practice should be on dedicated circuits. The national code is silent on how many actual receptacles you can have on a 15a or 20a general purpose 120v circuit.

Switches are what ever is convenient. Sometimes in fact the lighting is just put on dedicated circuits and the breakers are used as switches. Most breakers are switch rated but it is good to check if you do this and have one or two lights on a non lighting circuit controlled by a switch at the entrance.

Old 03-01-13, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a limit if this is not residential.

The expected loads will determine the circuits.

Old 03-01-13, 05:42 PM
I am wiring a new building and have a couple of questions.
Is this building a house or a commercial building?

Old 03-01-13, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Is this a tiny house on a trailer? If so this will influence our answers to the questions.

Old 03-02-13, 05:46 AM
Breakers

Should I use 20 amp or 15 amp circuit breakers?
The breaker size must match the wire gauge you use.

I suggest you obtain a copy of Wiring Simplified and read it.

Old 03-04-13, 11:01 AM
Yep, this is a tiny house on a trailer. I am going to go with a 30 amp plug from the outside and will only be powering the lights and switches. There are no major appliances, the fridge is run off of propane. I'm thinking of running all 15 amp and then the fridge on 20 when I want to run it off electricity

Old 03-04-13, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
That needs to be a 5-30 or L5-30 inlet connected to a breaker box if 120 volt only supply.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-04-13 at 12:47 PM.