Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Subpanel for hot tub supply, pool light and future 120 lighting and plugs

Old 03-06-13, 09:32 AM

Have another thread for running a subpanel to my shop. I'm trenching this weekend for that and would like to also trench for another need in the yard while I have the trencher.

In short.. I'm moving my pool pump and filter to approx 100' away from where it currently resides. The good news is it will be within 10' from the main electric panel and I'll be running a new run for that. In the spot where the pool equipment was will be a new poured pad for a hottub. To the side of the hot tub location will be an outdoor kitchen with lighting and 120 outlets and the last requirment is I have the pool light that I'd like to keep the turn on for by the outdoor kitchen rather than moving with the pool equipment.

So.. what I'd like to do is just have a subpanel that supplies all the needs in that area. The kitchen isn't planned to be built till next year so there is no where to mount/hide a panel at the moment. So right now, I'd just be looking to power the hot tub and the Pool light. Wondering if there is a weather tight box I could use to house the panel that would also work for the emergency turnoff I need for the for the hot tub or?? Looking for suggestions on how best to manage/configure this. on a side note, I have 4 150' #6 copper runs on hand so I'm really hoping I'll get lucky and be able to repurpose it for this project depending on that amp input demand.

Thank you for the help.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-13, 11:12 AM
Are you planning to install a panel in a weatherproof enclosure that will all be replaced in a year? If so, just buy an outdoor-rated panel and mount it on the outside wall of the house wherever it's convenient.

The switch for the pool light can be mounted in a weatherproof box attached to the panel, and covered with a weatherproof cover.

Old 03-06-13, 02:20 PM
yes, will be replaced in a year once the outdoor kitchen area is in place. Good idea on the pool light. How about the emergency turnoff for the spa? should i just run that separate out of the sub panel to it's one location or? I'm just struggling what this would all look like.

Old 03-06-13, 04:59 PM
How about the emergency turnoff for the spa?
Do you mean the emergency cutoff, overcurrent protection and GFCI protection? It sounds like you'e installing the hot tub in its permanent location now. If so, you should choose where the GFCI will be permanently located, mount it there, and do all that work in a final manner. It needs to be done that way anyway, for safety.

This brings us back to the question of where to mount the panel that will be moved next year. If you know where the final panel location will be, and you can run the feed for the hot tub GFCI so that it can just be moved over to the new location, that's a bit of work saved down the road.