Armored Cable vs. Conduit?

Old 03-07-13, 01:55 PM
Armored Cable vs. Conduit?

I need to install a new circuit (240V/30A) in my garage for an air compressor and welder.
The garage is finished and I don't feel like going behind the sheet rock to run cable.

I originally planned on installing conduit on the sheetrock to run the cable through, then I found some armored electrical cable at the hardware store.

Can I surface mount armored cable for indoor use? Or is conduit required for a surface mount installation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-13, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the forums!

The purpose of the conduit is to protect the conductors from physical - mechanical - damage. Type AC cable will not do that. Run the conduit.

Old 03-07-13, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Rather than taking up your time with all my conduit related questions, can you recommend a book, website or thread that may cover conduit for the beginner?

I am familier with AC electrical wiring and Romex. I've never needed to install conduit, or wiring inside it.

Old 03-07-13, 05:04 PM
There are plenty of sites on the web that can give you tips on how to run conduit. It isn't difficult, just plan out your runs ahead of time. You can buy a bender but if you only have a couple of bends, or a short run, you can buy pieces already bent at standard angles.

You can't have more than 360 degrees of bends in a run. Watch your conduit fill when selecting the size.

Fortunately, conduit is cheap.

Good luck with your project.

Old 03-07-13, 06:33 PM
can you recommend a book, website or thread that may cover conduit for the beginner?
How to Bend Conduit - EMT Bender Instructions

How to Bend Conduit With a Hand Bender - YouTube

Old 03-08-13, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If not subject to physical damage Type MC cable can be run on the surface. The cable could be sleeved where subject to damage.