Another Generator Power Inlet Box Wiring Quetion

Old 03-08-13, 11:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another Generator Power Inlet Box Wiring Quetion

I am wiring my Power Inlet box which is on the outside of my finished attached garage. I am using 10/3 NM-B wire behind the finished walls in the garage. my run from the garage to the transfer switch in the basement is all behind finished walls. the very last section will be about 6 - 8 inches of the exposed NM-B where it comes through the wall to where the transfer switch is. My question is, can this 6 - 8 inches be exposed? I know I can't put it in PVC/Conduit, but can it be exposed? I live in RI, and RI follows current NEC 2011 code.

thanks!

Old 03-08-13, 01:10 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
What makes you think you cannot put it in conduit? If the exposed cable is "subject to damage" then it MUST be enclosed to prevent damage. Conduit IS an acceptable method of protecting cable from damage.

Old 03-08-13, 01:21 PM
J
I think I can't put it in conduit because 50% of what I read says nm-b is not allowed in conduit (but then again, no one ever specifically references code that says you can't). thanks for the info.

Old 03-08-13, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You are allowed to sleeve the cable.

Old 03-08-13, 04:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Best practice not national code is not to use NM in a complete conduit installation is what you read here. As long as as you are not running uninterrupted conduit from one end to the other even that best practice is not applicable.

Old 03-08-13, 06:06 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I think I can't put it in conduit because 50% of what I read says nm-b is not allowed in conduit (but then again, no one ever specifically references code that says you can't).
There's a really good reason no one references code that says you can't put it in conduit, that's because there is no code reference as far as I know that forbids it. I believe there is some language that speaks of cable assemblies in conduit, but I can't quote them. Like rays says, best practice is to not use NM cable in a complete conduit installation.

Old 03-09-13, 05:16 AM
J
thanks for all the replies. i can now complete my install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: