Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Remote Control Ceiling Fan. Want to still use two wall switches.

Old 03-10-13, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to install a remote control ceiling fan. The fan I am replacing was not remote control. In the room there are two switches at two different locations that control the light. There is also a switch that controls the fan.

I would like to still be able to use my wall switches but can't figure out how to wire it. On the fan reciever, there is a ground, black and white wire only on the input side. There is the standard black/blue/white/ground on the output side.

My ceiling box has black/white/ground/red wires. It appears to me my only option is to use the reciever which basically means I can't use my wall switches anymore.

Is there any way I can wire it to be able to use both? NOTE: This fan does not have any mechanical speed switches for the fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
With most ceiling fans.......the power is supplied to the fan at all times and the wireless remote does the switching completely.

With some ceiling fans.... I believe there is a remote wall switch that replaces an existing one to allow you to use one wall switch and the remote.

So the answer to your question is most likely ..... no. Your wall switches will no longer be used.