need a timer for changing room heaters

Old 03-10-13, 12:23 PM
need a timer for changing room heaters

hi folks
in our sports club building we have 6 changing rooms each has 2 fan heaters in them, the building is used by different groups, sometimes when i open up i find that some of the heaters have been left on, sometimes for a week or so, as its only used mostly at weekends
the heaters are in large changing rooms and are manually switched on using IP66 waterproof switches,
i thought about a timer of some sort between the ip66 switch and the heater, but it need to be waterproof (as we are in a shower area) we used to have non waterproof ones in the un-manned sub-stns years ago that stayed on for 30 mins)
also thought about a timed contractor near fuseboard but needs run the 3 phasre fed to the various heaters
anyone got any ideas please

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 12:37 PM
Assuming that each room has a separate branch circuit to the heater(s) adding contactors and timers should be fairly easy. You would use a low-voltage control from the timer to wherever it was necessary to actually control each room.

Old 03-10-13, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You could also add a time clock ahead of the heaters near the panel.

Old 03-10-13, 03:50 PM
yes thought about a contractor and time clock near the panal
but it would have to be 7 day time clock so the heaters stayed off all week

really wanted to put sometime in each changing room that locked the fan to 20-30 mins on only

Old 03-10-13, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Why not a single pole occupation timer outside the door operating a 2 or 3 pole relay with a 120 volt coil?

Old 03-10-13, 09:28 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, Ray. Install the proper three-phase contactor with 120 volt coil and then use a simple spring wound (or an electrical one if needing a longer "on" time) timer to control the contactor. Don't use a timer that has a "hold" feature.

You would mount the timer convenient to where the patrons were using the changing room and they would turn it to the appropriate time setting. The associated contactor pulls in enabling the thermostat on the heater until the timer times out and de-energizes the contactor.

Old 03-10-13, 11:15 PM
thanks gents,
i'll look in to that
single ph operation contactor, with 3 ph connections
run by a 7day, 24 hr time clock

Last edited by rustygoat; 03-10-13 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-10-13, 11:44 PM
Contactor, not contractor. You need a contactor on the electrical but it will need to be installed by an electrical contractor.

Seriously, since this is a commercial facility (rather than single family residential) you cannot DIY it but need a licensed electrician. I can't help in specifying what size of contactor either without knowing the electrical input on the various heaters.

You would only use a 7-day time clock if the schedule was specific and unvarying. Otherwise a time switch that would be turned to a specific time period when the particular heaters would be in use. With six different rooms on different schedules you might need six different time clocks or multiple program time clocks.

Are the various rooms all on different heater circuits? If not, that could be another factor that would need modifying.

Old 03-11-13, 03:20 AM
Group Moderator
run by a 7day, 24 hr time clock
That is not the type of timer Furd and I was talking about. The type in the most basic form is simply a wind up timer that can be set by turning a dial. More modern are electronic.