wiring up 240v motor with 5 wires!

Old 03-12-13, 01:57 AM
wiring up 240v motor with 5 wires!

hey there, i have what i think is a single phase motor of around 3/4-1hp (240v-in australia, no 110v) i have five yellow wires. HELP!!! im hoping that its a multi speed motor and i will need to get a selector switch. the terminals are marked thus on the motor connection plate (no id plate etc at all)
T1-has red wire to winding
T2-has blue wire to winding
T3-has white wire with blue stripe to winding , plus, black wire to small unit screwed on body of motor, has a disk of metal in, no idea what it is! some kind of switch/contacts?
T4-has black wire to contact set
T7-has black wire to same item T3 goes to
The other side of the main contacts has white with red stripe to winding.
ground/Earth is on body of motor

theres a centrifugal switch on the shaft.

has anyone got any idea how i can use this motor???
im afraid im of the 'a little bit of knowlege is a dangerous thig' set, ie, ill poke and prod untill i fix or break it!

I know its pretty vauge but its worth a try!

I do not require a lecture on leaving things to the profesionals, safety, laws, etc.
Nor do i require sarcastic remarks suggesting buying a new one, taking it to a pro etc etc, i am stubborn as hell and will find an answer, im just starting here! ta in advance!

[Email redacted.]

Last edited by ray2047; 03-12-13 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Email addresses not allowed.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 06:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
How about a picture of the motor?

Old 03-12-13, 12:47 PM
Yeah. And a picture of the nameplate. Eapecially if it has a wiring diagram. Or make and model so we can google the mfg to get a wiring diagram.

Old 03-12-13, 04:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
glennsparky, he said that there was no ID plate in his post.

Old 03-12-13, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Single phase...... yes.
Multi speed ....... probably not
230 volt ............ won't know til you fry it. (I mean try it)
reversible -------- probably

We need a clear picture of the centrifugal switch/terminal plate.
The pic below is most likley what you have there.

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-13, 06:28 PM
thanks for the fast interest guys, nice one! yup, as said, no id plate/markings of any kind on body.

ive now found an awesome 1hp grundfos pump motor at the tip so thats going on the drill press. id now like to put the original 5 wire on my other lathe, so heres the photos. hope theyre clear enough.

the first is obviously outside, connections, the ground goes to the body just out of shot.
second is inside rear casing, black 'thing' visible to top of photo sporting two black wires.
third is the inside of the 'thing' . it sits in a hole cast in to the end plate casing.
four is just a shot of it overall to let you see the style and size of the motor.

its nicely built and in pretty good shape really.

thanks again for your help. hope i can return the favour sometime, i know stuff about a bit of stuff so we'll see! ta muchly!

let me know if you need anything else......

Attached Images     
Old 03-13-13, 06:34 PM
just re read, if its reversable thatd be real cool too, reverse sanding on the lathe would be bloody handy! two speed would be better tho!

or would this thing be happy with a variable speed controller hooked in to it, the 2500w ones you can get on fleabay maybe?

happy days to you.

Old 03-13-13, 06:57 PM
3800W Adjustable 0 220V Voltage Regulator for Dimming Light Lamps Speed Control | eBay

like this kinda jobbie, would this be ok to put on a drill press, lathe etc? saves changing pulleys, could you select a speed and use this to control the speed? would you start fast and slow it or start slow and crank it up, pulley wise?

Old 03-13-13, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Awesome pics

Going to take a little studying to get the wiring but we'll get it.
(I'm sure Furd will stop by.....he's pretty sharp on motor wiring)

Just a few quick observations.
You pulled the end plate off........ good move !

The illustration I drew in post # 5 is what you have there.

That black thing is the overload protector.
The centrifugal switch is mounted on the end plate.

There are four wires between the end plate and the motor. Perfect.
The red and blue wires are the running winding and
the red/stripe and blue/stripe are the start winding.

It is reversible but not multi speed.

A quick explanation of motor reversing.
For forward or clockwise rotation
L1 = red and red/stripe
L2 = blue and blue/strip

For reverse or counter-clockwise roatation
L1 = red and blue stripe
L2 = blue and red/strip

The run winding always gets connected to the same line connections but by reversing the start windings reverses the motor.

You'll need a drum switch for motor reversing.
DAYTON Switch, Drum Reversing - Manual Motor Switches and Starters - 2X440|2X440 - Grainger Industrial Supply

I'll be back. I need to look at the pics.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-13-13 at 09:01 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 03-13-13, 08:58 PM
have to dismantle to get to know the beast! no use guessing!!! look in the background of one of the photos, its surrounded by other, dissasembled motors! haha!

the tiny black things the cap? wowser! have only ever seen the standard looking tube type and pcb 'pillow' type before! am learning already! nice!!!!

so the centrifugal switch mech. works the contacts on the end plate, this switches from start winding to run winding, yes? this is the same in a few motors i have tho the finned one to the btm right has no centrifugal switch, why is that? would this be a good candidate to use with the ebay item i posted before? for a variable speed drill press.

you guys rock! thanks so much for entertaining the ramblings of an electrical numpty!

Old 03-13-13, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
I made a change in my post. When you said that black thing was tiny I realized my first guess was correct.

That is not a capacitor..... but a thermal overload protector.

Old 03-13-13, 09:07 PM
Old 03-13-13, 09:16 PM
so theres no capacitor required or its mounted outside and some of the wires go to it maybe? im guessing! have no idea! guess this restates my question about why some do and some do not need capacitor/s (start/run) maybe im trying to run before walking but i guess if i make notes itll always be usefull to me! thanks!

Old 03-13-13, 11:20 PM
Group Moderator
looks like that switch will work.

When you power up a motor..... the run winding is connected to the line.
The start winding is only activated for a fraction of a second. So either the centrifugal switch opens the start circuit or the capacitor does it. Sometimes both are used.