Question About Sub-panels

Old 03-12-13, 01:08 PM
Question About Sub-panels

Is it legal per NEC to install a sub-panel in a crawl space? I want to install a sub-panel in a crawl space that is free from water and has easy access.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
How high is the crawl space? And you do mean under the house don't you? Some confused posters think an attic is a crawl space.

Old 03-12-13, 01:45 PM
The crawl space is under the house and is about 30" high. Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-12-13, 02:42 PM
I am not an electrician but even if code allowed it, I would not want it.

A crawlspace is not the place for a subpanel. It also does not allow for the clearances required. I am curious. Why do you want to put it there?

Old 03-12-13, 04:07 PM
Convenience

The reason for installing the sub-panel in the crawl space is convenience of running the wire. There is a wire (#4) already in place that once was used for an electric heat pump unit. That unit was replaced with a gas pack and this large line is no longer needed for the unit. I need some more circuits on that end of the building. I could run the wire through the floor into a wall but, I don't have a location that would hide the panel or at least put it out of sight. Of course I guess I could hang a photo over it.

Old 03-12-13, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
I guess I could hang a photo over it.
That or a cabinet door. While you can't actually put it in a cabinet You can make it appear to be a recessed cabinet though in point of fact there is only an inch or so between the panel and the door.

Old 03-12-13, 04:24 PM
I know the location of the wire is convenient at present however, it sure would make the box convenient if I ever had to reset a breaker or whatever, if it was in the livining area. I guess I will just do the work and put it up where it should be. Thanks for your reply.