these ballasts interchangeable?

Old 03-12-13, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
these ballasts interchangeable?

I have an old dead ballast with wiring diagram as shown here: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...psab2a9ea8.jpg that I'd like to at least temporarily replace with another old but good ballast with wiring diagram as shown here: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps36948952.jpg
One specific difference I notice between the two ballasts is the second one is supposed to wire into a circuit interrupting lampholder, of which the fixture/lamp with the old dead ballast (into which I was thinking of installing this second ballast into) does not utilize. Does it look as if I could have success doing as I'm considering? Thanks, and sorry for blurry pictures.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 06:31 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Can you show a picture that includes the catalog number? How many and what type lamps are these ballasts for? They actually don't look extremely old, I am sure they can be replaced.

Old 03-12-13, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
It isn't so much the wiring......it's the lamp wattage that is more important.

You need to make sure the lamp you are using is on that chart on the ballast.

Old 03-12-13, 07:09 PM
You could try installing the ballast you have, what do you have to lose? If it doesn't work, try this.

I am going out on a limb here. The ballast is thermally protected so I am thinking it can't be over 35 or so years old (that doesn't sound so old to me ). It's a blurry picture, but I think it powers 1 - F30T12 lamp. I think you need an Advance ICN-2S40-N ballast. Google it and see if the specs match what you have.

Old 03-12-13, 08:24 PM
The ballast in the first picture is Advance catalog number HM-140-1-TP.
The ballast in the second picture is Advance catalog number RL-140-TP.
I know I can probably replace either of these, but what I'm wanting to do is replace the dead HM-140-1-TP with the known good RL-140-TP, if possible, into the same fixture that the dead ballast came out of. The HM-140-1-TP power(ed) one lamp of a three-lamp fixture (another two-lamp ballast powers the other two lamps in the fixture). Both of these (either) is used to power one F40 T12 type lamp; that info is shown on the chart on both ballasts. I'm uncertain, because of the difference of wiring diagrams between the HM-140-1-TP and the RL-140-TP, whether I can do as I mentioned because, for one thing, as you can see the wires from each ballast are different. The HM-140-1-TP has a black wire and a white wire, whereas the RL-140-TP has instead a black/white (combined) color coded wire and a white wire. Plus, there are two blue wires from the HM-140-1-TP, whereas there is only one blue wire from the RL-140-TP. Another difference I notice is on the wiring diagram shown on the RL-140-TP, it shows the wires going to the one end of the lamp where there it shows a "circuit interrupting lampholder", and as I mentioned in my previous post there is no such type of device on any of the T12 lamps that install into in the fixture.

Old 03-13-13, 06:11 PM
I was trying to give advice, but probably the best advice I could have given would be to replace the fixtures. I guess you are aware the F40T12 lamps are not even made anymore.

Old 03-13-13, 06:28 PM
the best advice I could have given would be to replace the fixtures. I guess you are aware the F40T12 lamps are not even made anymore
Replacing the fixtures, or retrofitting with electronic T8 ballasts and lamps, is under consideration and will probably be done sooner or later. Yes, I'm aware the old lamps are not even made anymore. I was just hoping to find out if I could change out the one dead ballast with the other good one for the time being, so as to be able to put the good one to use without having to purchase a different one to replace the dead one, for the time being. The good one is for a fixture we don't have anymore. Probably what I was asking about trying to do either can't be done or perhaps would be considered not worth the trouble trying to do, I guess.

Last edited by sgull; 03-13-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 07:24 PM
You can give it a shot, but you may have to rewire the fixture according to the wiring diagram on the replacement ballast in order for it to work.