Hot Tub Move - Disconnect / GFCI

Old 03-13-13, 10:10 PM

I'm in the process of moving our Hot Tub to a new location. The new location will not have a "line of sight" to the disconnect. Therefore, I have a plan to add an additional disconnect that will have a line of site.

Current Situation: AWG #4 wire is run from the main panel in my garage to my shed in the back yard. The panel in the shed contains a 50 amp GFCI. Then AWG #6 is run from the GFCI to the outside of the shed (Opposite side of the wall) to a 60 amp cutler hammer disconnect only box rated for outdoor use. This is in the line of site to the hot tub (About 35 feet of AWG #6).

In moving the hot tub to the new location, I will be adding about 40 feet of distance. I would like to add a second cutler hammer disconnect (Similiar to above) to the end of the current 35 feet of AWG #6 wire. I have a good place on the wall of the house that will be within "line of site" to the hot tub. I would then run an additional 40 feet of AWG #6 wire to the hot tub.

Is it ok to put both disconnects in series like this? Is the 75 feet of AWG #6 ok? Should I expect any GFCI tripping based on this change? I have never had any trips with the current configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-13, 05:20 AM
Can you move the hottub GFCI to the house panel? A new GFCI breaker will be cheaper than 75' or #6.

Old 03-14-13, 07:49 AM

I would still need to add wire to get to the new location. I want to make sure putting 2 disconnects after the GFCI breaker in the shed is ok.

Old 03-14-13, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Multiple unfused disconnects shouldn't be a problem. As long as you have only one GFCI there should not be a problem. Are you planning a 120 volt convenience receptacle?

Old 03-14-13, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Move the disconnect to the new location and splice in a junction box where the disconnect was.