Circuit Breakers in Junction Box?

Old 03-14-13, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Breakers in Junction Box?

This is my first post here, so please go easy.

Steel City Outdoor Enclosure Box - Gray-AB-884RBGK001 at The Home Depot

I want to run several 15A power lines to an outdoor shed and have the breakers in an outdoor box. Is it possible to mount 15A circuit breakers in this outdoor box? If so, how do I determine how many it can hold? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-13, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Welcome to the forums. As far as I know, you can only provide one feed to a detached building so you would be better served to install a subpanel in the shed.

Old 03-14-13, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
You can't just put breakers in an outdoor enclosure but you could use a weatherproof panel.

Old 03-14-13, 12:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No. Circuit breakers are made to install in a breaker panel. Further as Mitch said you can only run one circuit. In any event the breaker that protects the circuit is at the supply end not the termination point.

Forget everything you thought you knew and lets start from scratch. What will the loads in the shed be? Presumably lights and a few receptacles, correct? What will be plugged into those receptacles? What will the amperage of those loads be? Will there be any 240 volt loads? If so the amperage of each of those loads.

Old 03-14-13, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Now that you've heard several versions of "No," I imagine that you'd prefer to hear "Yes." Maybe if you asked the question a different way, other members could more readily hear a way to say "Yes." Let me try rephrasing your question to ask about what you would like to accomplish, and see if that will help:
I have an outdoor shed that I would like to have some power in. I think I will only meed a few circuits, because I just want to be able to have some lights and a couple of receptacles in the shed plus a security light and two convenience receptacles on the outside of it. What is the least costly way for me to do this?
Is that close?

Old 03-14-13, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Depending on your needs you could be looking at a single circuit on the low side or a sub panel for larger needs.