Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing floor outlet box in subfloor pre hardwood installation

Old 03-14-13, 02:58 PM

We are replacing our old carpet with hardwood and want to have a floor outlet. The electrical is all set and should be no problem, but I need to know how to place the outlet box in the subfloor before the hardwood is installed. There currently is no floor outlet as the outlet is in the base of a bar we are also removing. A round hole exists in the subfloor where the wiring comes up from the basement, though we might want to relocate it slightly. ... Or do I simply locate the place where I want the outlet and wait for the hardwood to be installed and then cut the hole for the box?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-13, 03:22 PM
do I simply locate the place where I want the outlet and wait for the hardwood to be installed and then cut the hole for the box?
Yes. Floor outlets install in/on the surface of the floor. I would buy the box now in order to have the specs for the rough-in handy while working on the floor.

What is below this floor?

Old 03-14-13, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Floor boxes can be installed before the flooring and need to be well supported.

Specialty Boxes | Non-Metallic Adjustable Floor Boxes for New Floors

Specialty Boxes | Non-Metallic Floor Boxes for Installed Floors

Last edited by pcboss; 03-14-13 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-14-13, 06:45 PM
I like the Carlon line of floor boxes for wood floors.

http://www.thomasbetts.com/ps/fullti...?part=B121BFBB

Old 03-14-13, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would install the Thomas and Betts box in the subflooring and allow enough adjustment to compensate for the hardwood. Then lower it via the adjustment screw to flush until the flooring is installed. It can be raised at that point and floored to by the flooring installer.

Old 03-16-13, 07:52 AM
Great responses. Thanks for all the info. Under the floor is the basement with a suspended ceiling so it is easily accessible. Should/Must the box be attached to a floor joist or will the wings on the surface of the subfloor suffice?

Old 03-16-13, 08:41 AM
Should/Must the box be attached to a floor joist or will the wings on the surface of the subfloor suffice?
Depends on which box you buy and the instructions that come with it, plus how careful you are in cutting the opening. All the ones I've seen don't need to be attached to the framing.