How to indicate intra-apartment connection

Old 12-29-12, 12:32 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question How to indicate intra-apartment connection

I want to run a coaxial cable from my living room to another room. Each end of the cable will terminate at a surface mounted receptacle to which I'll attach a patch cable. I want to indicate that the receptacles lead to another room so nobody thinks they're connected to the cable company. I'm thinking of putting a symbol on each surface mounted box and maybe something in plain english somewhere, but I need help with the symbol. I looked at a table titled "Electrical Symbols and Abbreviations In Accordance with American National Standards Institute" but there's no clear answer, at least to a novice. I was thinking maybe the symbol for "special purpose outlet" or "interconnection box" is the right one. Is there any symbol for this?

Old 12-29-12, 12:46 PM
A
Maybe things are different there, but even if you found the right symbol, no one around here would know what it meant!

Here's the Plain English I would have appreciated:

#1. From Cable Co.

#2. To Other Room

In other room:

From Living Room

You can have this engraved, make a p-touch label, or just print it and put scotch tape or packing tape over it. Even Sharpie is better than nothing!

Old 12-29-12, 01:14 PM
B
Yeah, I just have to think about how to make that look as good as it could look. Maybe a ring around the plug that I could write on. It could be attached with the nut that's used to attach the plug to the box or wall plate.

Old 12-29-12, 02:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have access to a label maker, you could simply make a stick on with TV or Ext. If you have the kind that uses clear self adhesive tape it would look like a factory job.

Old 12-29-12, 02:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You could also use rub on letters to directly mark the plate.

Old 12-29-12, 04:27 PM
B
I'd like to make this happen:

Maybe I'll print it on a label. I hope it doesn't look like I have a cable ready sofa bed.

Old 03-15-13, 03:30 PM
B
I accidentally found keystone plates with label windows! My local big box store doesn't sell them. "Each 2-port wall plate accepts snap-in connector modules and includes screws and screw-cover label plates."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: