Household wiring question

Old 03-15-13, 05:41 PM
Household wiring question

Hi, first of all thanks for looking at my issue.

I found the previous owner of my home did a number on some things. He screwed up the wiring in the garage(was using a bare ground as a switched hot) and I'm trying to correct it. I think I know what I need to do to fix it and make it safe but I just need the final 1% of info and an "ok" that it is in fact correct.

Here's a diagram I drew up, I think it's correct, and am just wondering if I need to connect ground to the switches(he didn't have it) and to the light fixture(he didn't have it).

Thanks in advance.

BTW this is a house built in 1996, it's a single story ranch, cookie cutter home, in Orlando, FL, and it's romex 14 ga I believe.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-13, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
If the switch box is plastic the ground must be connected together and pigtailed to the switches. If metalthey must be connected together and to the box and pigtailing to the switches is optional. At the light all grounds together and pigtailed to the box if metal.

Whites used as hots must be redesignated on both ends some color other then green or gray usually red or black is used. It may be done with colored marker tape or felt tip marker or, old school, paint.

Old 03-15-13, 07:40 PM
In a switch loop arrangement, the power is generally connected to the white conductor to travel to the switches. The white is redesignated as a hot wire like ray said. The black and red conductors become the hot switched conductors.

Old 03-16-13, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the responses! So it sounds like the wiring I drew up is correct. I did intend to put a piece of black electrical tape at each end of the white wire since I'm using it as a hot, but sharpie sounds even better/easier. The ceiling box is plastic, I will connect ground to the light fixture(metal) then connect to all the other grounds in the box. The switch box was plastic but I replaced it with metal so I will connect ground to the box and to the switches. Thanks guys!

Old 03-16-13, 06:45 AM
So it sounds like the wiring I drew up is correct.
Wiring it the way you drew it will work, but it is confusing and non-compliant (I'm pretty sure).

Originally Posted by CasualJoe
In a switch loop arrangement, the power is generally connected to the white conductor to travel to the switches. The white is redesignated as a hot wire like ray said. The black and red conductors become the hot switched conductors.
You should swap the connections in the ceiling for the black and (redesignated) white wires going to the switch box. In the switch box, swap them again. Pigtail off the redesignated white wire to feed both switches, and connect the black wire to the switch for the outside lights.

Old 03-16-13, 09:33 AM
Ok will do, I will switch the black and redesignated white. Going to go run the wire now...

Thanks again.

Old 03-16-13, 02:44 PM
All done, everything works as it should, thanks for the help. I ended up just wrapping a piece of black electrical tape around each end of the redesignated white wire(couldn't find a sharpie). Now I just have to sand tomorrow once the joint compound is dry then hit with another coat, texture, and paint.

Old 03-16-13, 06:52 PM
Glad you got it working, and thanks for letting us know.