UF-b cable transition

Old 03-16-13, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UF-b cable transition

Hello,

I need to run a UF-B 6AWG cable from Reliance Q506A transfer switch in the basement to the Inlet box outside. It is about 1 1/4 '' wide.
I cannot connect directly UF-B cable to the Transfer switch, since the wire is flat and is a large diameter than the opening for the fitting on the Transfer switch.

I probably need a junction box to transition UF-B to four single wires that I can connect to a Transfer switch and Inlet box. What are the models of the Junction boxes that accept flat UF cable. Will I need any extra fittings for the junction box? What type of fittings. I wont to run single wires in the conduit from Junction Box to the transfer switch / Inlet box.
In addition, since inlet box will be outside, 40+ feet from the place where it comes out from the basement, I will need a waterproof junction box. is it exist for the UF-B cable?
I do not have an Inlet box in my hands yet. Maybe there is a chance that I can connect UF-B cale directly to it somehow.

Related question I have. is the code allows to run UF-B cable along the outside house wall about 2 to 3 feet above the ground without the conduit?

Thank you,
Regards,
Vad

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-13, 05:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Last, first. No, UF-B needs protection just like any other cabling, either in conduit or buried as it is intended. Why do you need to run 6 gauge wire? Why are you running UFB inside, and why not just use a whip with THWN inside from the inlet box to the generator?

Old 03-16-13, 09:52 AM
I already purchased UF-B cable. I need to make it connected.

Old 03-16-13, 10:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I already purchased UF-B cable.
Cart before the horse. It may be best to return it if you can. First though we need to know the details of what you are doing so we can help you do it. So far it sounds like UF isn't best for your project and we have no way of knowing if #6 is the right gauge.

Old 03-16-13, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Yeah, UF is a pain to work with. Usually, I'd recommend using NM-B inside the house and transitioning to PVC conduit or liquidtight flexible conduit with THWN wires outside for the last couple feet. The cost of UF is also higher than NM, making it an even easier decision.

Old 03-16-13, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I already purchased UF-B cable.
Do you have a different project you can use it for?

Old 03-17-13, 04:57 PM
OK, I think I got a solution.
Once cable enters the house, I will take a gray UF-B shell out and will get single wires that I will be able to put through the existing 1 '' knockout. I will put these single wires into 3/4 flexible metallic conduit that will be clumped to the transfer switch,-.

Thank you for your help

Old 03-17-13, 05:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I will take a gray UF-B shell out and will get single wires that I will be able to put through the existing 1 '' knockout. I will put these single wires into 3/4 flexible metallic conduit that will be clumped to the transfer switch
It is not code compliant to remove the wires from the sheath and use them as individual conductors. The are not rated for that. Of course in reality it would be almost impossible to remove the conductors in UF cable. They are just too embedded.

Old 03-17-13, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Wow, talk about time consuming, you won't get 3' without nicking the casing of a wire, guaranteed. BTDT. Not code compliant as Ray says, and an impossibility. Why not take the advice give here, bite the bullet, and do it right. You'll sleep better.