Dead Outlet

Old 03-17-13, 11:02 AM
Dead Outlet

I have half an outlet that is not working. The bottom of the outlet has the garbage disposal plugged in, the upper outlet has the dishwasher plugged in. There is no power to the dishwasher, but the disposal is working fine. I plugged the dishwasher into another outlet and it work. Why would one side of a duplex outlet stop working. I have reset the c/b on the dishwasher and reset all of the GFI outlets. No joy...........any solutions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-13, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That receptacle may have had it's hot side bridge clip broken off so that two circuits could utilize one receptacle.

Do you know if the disposal and dishwasher are on two different circuits ?

Attached Images  
Old 03-17-13, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
You have a split receptacle...the GD is controlled by a switch right? The DW side would be hot all the time.

You have different feeds to each side. You may find that they have been wired using the backstab holes on the back. Very common for those to fail.

You'll need to pull the outlet out and tell us what you find.

Old 03-17-13, 12:43 PM
Thanks, I was hoping not to have to pull the outlet, as it is under the sink on the back of the wall. But I will now. Is it just a matter of replacing the outlet???

Old 03-17-13, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Is it just a matter of replacing the outlet???
Receptacles very seldom go bad. There just isn't much in them to go bad so it is very unlikely it is a bad receptacle. More likely a bad connection or tripped GFCI or tripped breaker. First step is opening the receptacle and checking for a loose or bad connection including a back stab connection that needs to be moved to a screw. Do you have a multimeter (preferably analog) or a test light (but not a non contact tester) so you can do some testing?

Old 03-17-13, 02:46 PM
No I do not have any testing equipment. I have reset the breaker for the GFCI outlets, I have even tripped each gfci and reset them with no joy. Thank you for your post.

Old 03-17-13, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
The dishwaher should not be on the same circuit as the countertop receptacles so you probably haven't found the correct breaker yet.

Old 03-17-13, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turn the garbage disposal on and let it run with water running through it, then turn on the dishwasher. Does the dishwasher come on? If so, the receptacle was wired completely through the switch, improperly.