AC/DC question. 12V battery to power motor

Old 03-18-13, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC/DC question. 12V battery to power motor

Excuse my ignorance.
I have a 12v rechargeable battery that I hope to power a 5v chicken coop door motor with. Currently, the motor is powered off the house (US) and I am under the impression it is a 5v motor.

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/31427.pdf

What do i need to do to power this motor off the battery? Can I cut an extension cord and attach it to the battery alone and plug into it or can I cut the plug off the power adapter and attach it to the battery or do I need an inverter of sorts?

I'm learning as I go alone but asking before I start sticking wires to things.

Thanks!
Christopher

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-13, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Looks like it's a 12VDC motor...and the PDF you attached is pretty clear on how to run it off a battery. Wheres the issue? Did someone change the adapter or power supply and rig it differently?

Old 03-18-13, 06:44 PM
Just wanted a second opinion before I accidentally set our chickens on fire - although I guess that would kill two birds with one stone.

Old 03-19-13, 01:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
Just a couple of question.

Do you have it plugged into AC power now ?
If yes..why do you want to switch to battery operated ?

If you use a rechargeable battery you will either need to remove the battery and bring it inside to re-charge it or add a charger at that the location which brings us back to just running it on AC.

The idea of running it on battery is at a remote location with no AC power you could use a solar cell to recharge the battery.

Old 03-19-13, 05:39 AM
I run the motor off ac power from the house. It is on a timer so the coop door opens and closes at sunrise/sunset.
But! when we have a power failure (which happens from time to time) and the power returns the motor operates and the chickens get locked out (or in).
I was hoping to isolate them from this issue (and get rid of the wire running across the yard.)

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to double check before I started this project.

I do have a 12vsolar panel I will install.

Old 03-19-13, 05:46 AM
Why do you lock up your chickens in the first place?? We have chickens and have never done anything like that.

Old 03-19-13, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
In my area chickens have to be locked inside at night to protect them from predation by fox and coyote.

Old 03-19-13, 06:26 AM
Same here. They have a 'run' to play in by day but at night they 'roost' in the coop. They do this naturally at sunset. But, foxes are an issue in our neighborhood.

Threestorks

After I wire the coop door to the battery my next electrical question to you guys is if I can power a raspberry pi off the 12v battery.
Raspberry Pi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a little computer that I have a temperature sensor on as well as magnetic switches to read coop door position.
It is powered off a microusb adapter and I think it will run if the usb cord is plugged into a car cigarette lighter with a usb adapter?
If so, can I use one of those lighter plugs attached to the battery along with the motor wires?
I told my wife she could get chickens if I could build the coop.
You see where this is going.

Old 03-19-13, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It should work...though will it be the A or B model? I'm sure neither will pull nearly the max rating, but the A is a lot less.

Since you have AC at the location, why not use a battery maintainer running off AC? That would be more reliable than solar at keeping the battery fully charged.

I told my wife she could get chickens if I could build the coop.
Yeah....sure you did......that's just what she made you believe....lol.

Old 03-19-13, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 410 Votes on 385 Posts
My sister has hens too. Something is always chasing them and they definitely need to be "locked in" at night.

You'd probably need a 12v 10-12ah battery. That little computer with it's USB power supply will probably require around 1/2 amp of power.

Old 03-19-13, 10:52 AM
I have a b model raspberry pi.
I toyed with the idea of keeping both it and the motor on house power but really keeping the extension cord out in the yard is the driving factor. We move the coop around as well so running power out there has been an issue.
I ordered a dc 12v timer today from amazon. I've almost got everything set - just need a few more pieces to the puzzle.
Thanks again!

Christopher