12ga wire splicing

Old 03-19-13, 12:33 PM
12ga wire splicing

i am running new 12-2 NM wire for new outdoor GFI outlets (4) one at each corner of the house. for practical reasons i cannot run all 4 in a straight chain, i have 3 coming in a chain from one side and 1 coming from the other side. the two lines will be spliced together with a connecting line running into the fuse box (3 leg splices) is this OK or must they be run in a chain?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
This is fine - not all that common now but this was a common way to wire years ago.

Old 03-19-13, 02:52 PM
The wiring plan is fine. You can use two GFCI receptacles and two standard receptacles. One GFCI will go in the outlier location. The other goes in the first location in the three-device chain, and the two standard receptacles will have GFCI protection if the cable going to them starts from the LOAD terminals on that GFCI.

All devices should be rated "weather resistant" and have in-use covers.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 03-20-13 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-19-13, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Non Metallic cable can't be run outdoors, You can run it to weatherproof boxes with bubble covers and weatherproof GFCI's as long as the boxes are mounted on the house and sealed from seepage of water. The way you are describing your runs, you won't need but one in the 3 chain at the beginning. Then run the remainder of the chain off the LOAD side of the GFCI to protect the remaining regular receptacles. You don't want to daisy chain GFCI's unless you want to spend time looking for trips. Your splicing must be in an enclosure such as a junction box with a cover and left exposed and accessible at all times.

I type slower than Bill

Old 03-19-13, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Dang, nice catch, Larry - I failed to put together NM and outside

Old 03-19-13, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One word....outside....throws it into another ball park.

Old 03-19-13, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Type UF cable can be run outside where not subject to physical damage.

Old 03-19-13, 10:44 PM
so on the line of three the gfi should be the first one coming from the fusebox and feeding the other two from the load side of the receptical, the solo needs its own gfi. as far as code goes any max/min distance regulations for above a porch floor, above earth, or how far from a entrance door?

thanks

Old 03-20-13, 02:34 AM
No distance regulations for extra receptacles. Code mandated receptacles have a height limit.

Design considerations:

18 inches to bottom of box is a nice rule of thumb. It has to do with ground hugging humidity and the height of lawnmower wheels.

A box with bubble cover sticks out quite a bit from the wall. Narrow walkways and high traffic areas are bad.

Metal boxes with holes on top, bottom and back require the top hole plug to be caulked. And they rot/rust. Beware silicone caulk, let it cure completely before wiring. I prefer PVC boxes. Thermocraft makes one with no holes. But don't bother using the glue-on mounting tabs. They never work. (Code grey area: Drill small holes through the back for mounting the box.) A 7/8 inch spade bit or hole saw puts a nice hole in the back for the cable clamp.

Old 03-20-13, 09:20 AM
Non Metallic cable can't be run outdoors
I assumed the Type NM was going to be run inside the house and punched through the wall to enter the boxes from the back. Never hurts to ask or say it rather than assume.

Old 03-20-13, 09:48 PM
yes, running the NM through the house exiting to the box attached to the outside. its an older house with stucco exterior so after drilling the hole i have to be extra careful of the wire lath in the stucco piercing the cable. i put a metal EMT sleeve through the opening and passed the wire through that

Old 03-20-13, 10:27 PM
yes, running the NM through the house exiting to the box attached to the outside. its an older house with stucco exterior so after drilling the hole i have to be extra careful of the wire lath in the stucco piercing the cable. i put a metal EMT sleeve through the opening and passed the wire through that
Sounds good. Did you seal any openings in the WP boxes with silicone, plus where the box rests against the house? Did you use WP connectors to connect the NM to the boxes?