220 volt circuit only putting out 110 volts

Old 03-20-13, 04:40 PM
Post 220 volt circuit only putting out 110 volts

We have a well and the pump is on a 220 volt circuit. The pump stopped working and the well guys discovered that only 110 volts was being transmitted to the breaker box in the pump house. They have bypassed the circuit with temporary above ground wiring and it is putting out 220 volts and the pump works fine. The pump house is about 100 feet from the house, and the wiring goes there through an underground conduit. We are assuming there a problem with the wiring somewhere. I'd rather not dig up the whole yard if we don't have to. I assume one solution would be to try to fish a new wire through the existing conduit. I also see that you can buy 110 to 220 converters, and wonder if using one of those would be a workable solution that could avoid the expense of installing new wiring.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-13, 04:44 PM
I would first do a continuity test of the wire to see if there is a break. Disconnect wire on both ends, jumper one end together and do an ohms test from the other end.

Voltage is either 120 or 240. Do you know how they determined that there is only 120 volts? Did they check load side to ground?

Old 03-20-13, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You wouldn't want to buy an inverter like that. $$$$

It's pretty rare for wiring to just "go bad" underground. It's more likely a breaker.
Using a voltmeter you need to check thru the circuit to find the problem.

You'd check for 240vac at the house.
Then at the sub panel.

Old 03-20-13, 06:48 PM
I assume one solution would be to try to fish a new wire through the existing conduit.
No, if the problem is the wiring, you will want to use the existing good wiring to pull 3 new conductors into the existing conduit, assuming the existing conduit is good. Wire in conduit can go bad depending on age and what damage that may have been done when that wiring was originally pulled into the conduit. Remember, all underground conduits have water in them so a damaged section of the existing wire may have gone bad.