laptop getting electrical shock

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-23-13, 07:03 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: India
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laptop getting electrical shock

I have 2 electrical points in my home where when I insert laptop charger or wire of any electrical device the device/laptop which is connected with those electrical point upon touching gets electrical shock. What should I check in here?
How can this problem be fixed?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-23-13, 07:53 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ohio usa
Posts: 143
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you sure it isn't static?

All laptops I've seen produce a low DC voltage(<20VDC) to charge the laptop battery. If you have a MM check the voltage on the plug from the charger that connects to the PC.

It's possible the charger is bad.

Note: I see you are non-usa so your charger may be connecting to a 240 volt source, but the laptop charger should still produce DC to charge the PC .
 
  #3  
Old 03-23-13, 08:05 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: India
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am a bit new to terms so I
1) do not know what is MM?
2) I am sure that the plug/power point is currupt because I have a different laptop of another manufacture which when plugged in to same electrical slot also gives electrical shock

in this house there are symptoms where when switch of a room light is closed then the lights of another room are fused so I am thinking there is some kind of earthing problem in house though I am not sure of this and I am not an expert of this thing.

3) what is static do you mean any kind of electrical charge on laptop due to its batter if that is the case then I am sure it is not static charge because there are other electrical points where the same laptop is connected with charger and there the laptop does not gets any electrical shock
 
  #4  
Old 03-23-13, 08:20 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 994
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What on the laptop are you touching that gives you a shock? I've never seen a laptop that wasn't plastic, which does not conduct electricity.
 
  #5  
Old 03-23-13, 09:10 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,055
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
MM = multimeter or electrical meter

When you say "shock" do you mean you get a shock or you just see an electrical arc?
 
  #6  
Old 03-23-13, 09:32 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: India
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do get a shock and this is from the part where hand rests on laptop while typing below key board
 
  #7  
Old 03-23-13, 09:59 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 54,520
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
Without using a meter and just guessing at the problem isn't really going to help you.

It may be time to call an electrician. If it's a ground issue like you think.......it needs to get fixed as soon as possible.
 
  #8  
Old 03-24-13, 07:37 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,271
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I do get a shock and this is from the part where hand rests on laptop while typing below key board
Is this a momentary one-time shock or is it a continuous sensing of voltage as you hold your hands on the laptop?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: