Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need help with finding a continuous DC motor from devices.

Old 03-23-13, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm currently doing a generator project but i need to get hold of a 12v DC motor with variable speed. I.e drill motor (all built in) but, i need something with continuous capabilities.

What other power tools are there i can buy easily and dismantle for motor, where the motor can be under cont load, draws as few watts/amps as possible (because running off 12v battery)
OR a AC household appliance, like a fan (or something that spins) that requires very little watts/amps. I have an inverter, so could use household appliances also if DC version cannot be found.
I took out the PM motor (fan) from comp, which was 12v...and worked great! But not enough torque for what i need it to spin and no variable speed controller of course, which is very much needed.

Any idea's would be great no matter how strange! :-)

Last edited by freedom007; 03-23-13 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-13, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

I'm just curious......with you're generator project .... you'll be making a generator that runs off a battery ?

Is this like a science project or are you designing something for long term use ?

Power tools use hi current short term DC motors. They don't lend themselves to continuous duty use. Ebay is a great source of surplus DC motors.

Old 03-23-13, 11:28 AM
Hey, thanks for your message :-)

I'm looking to run a wind turbine (charging 12v batt) with a motor. Low watt imput...for high watt output, so im recycling power with a huge gain at the end of it, a little in for a lot out so to speak.

But need a motor to cope with continuous use to do this, the turbine is light and easy to turn by hand but for a motor...it's less so. As mentioned tried the 'torque' of the PM fan off comp, running off the 12v and it wouldn't touch it....expectedly.

But i will need something that has a speed control built on or get a motor that has cont speed turbine requires as the turbine has a built in 'breaking system' (not too sure at what rpm that is) if it is spun too quickly....which would make the whole thing pointless if it hit that stage! lol

I cant afford alot, but need something safe and reliable. I've heard the PM motors are the best?

So, any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-13, 06:19 AM
Automotive heater fan motor? More robust: Windshield (windscreen) wiper motor. Both are designed to change speeds.

Old 03-24-13, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
I'm sorry...... I'm not following you. Are you taking a wind generator that would normally have blades on it and trying to turn that with a DC motor. ?

It will work but you will need more energy to spin the motor then the generator can produce. It will then cost you to generate power.

Old 03-24-13, 11:08 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
I'm not sure if this is related, but I recently read an article about how much power wind turbines require to get their blades moving and keep them moving when the wind isn't blowing. These of course would be huge mountain top turbines, but perhaps he is dealing with some start up condition rather than the "little in and lot out" as we read.

Bud

Old 03-25-13, 06:37 AM
Hi, yeah its for a project im doing.

If a motor can cope with continuous load, consuming low watt to run, the (generator kicks power at low rpm btw) So a motor consuming i.e 30w...giving the correct spin generator would need to create max power (400-500w), then your recycling with gain by the of it.

The generator is easy to spin by 1 finger, but for many 'diddy' motors...with their weakness it wont cope with 'simple torque' hense my issue. I dont want to spend money on a project before i get advice on motors really.
This confuses many people, but when people understand the 'cycle' i am creating it makes sense...?

It's a recycling energy project i'm attempting. Motor is hooked to 12v battery, requiring 30w (i.e)..., at max speed the generator is kicking 400w+ back, to not only give the power back to the battery it took from it that was used to spin the generator, but also giving tremendous power back to 'gain' with too. It will give the charge back and much more.
Then, if experiment goes well, i will hook to a solar panel to drive the motor, to then drive the generator. No power is 'lost' then, only 100% given during this cycle i want to create.

But it's the motor i need, found a cheap motor speed controller, just need a continuous motor now to try. I've looked on ebay, but was wondering if anyone knew of a decent high torque 12v dc motor, with reasonable rpm to try that they've known from experience works well under various consistant conditions?

Thanks

Old 03-25-13, 07:05 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Motor is hooked to 12v battery, requiring 30w (i.e)..., at max speed the generator is kicking 400w+ back, to not only give the power back to the battery it took from it that was used to spin the generator, but also giving tremendous power back to 'gain' with too. It will give the charge back and much more.
Sounds like one of those internet scams based on the idea of perpetual motion which scientists have long agreed is impossible. The truth is it takes slightly more power to run a generator then the generator produces. I'd suggest you research perpetual motion machines before you go any further. See: Perpetual motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also read up on conservation of energy:
The law of conservation of energy, first formulated in the nineteenth century, is a law of physics. It states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time. The total energy is said to be conserved over time. For an isolated system, this law means that energy can change its location within the system, and that it can change form within the system, for instance chemical energy can become kinetic energy, but that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

Read more at: Conservation of energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you actually produced 400 watts from 30 watts you would violate the long proven rule of conservation of energy.

Old 03-25-13, 07:15 AM
Hi again 007,
I guess I'm still getting the idea you want to get more out of this generator than you put in. This can only occur if your wind turbine is contributing more than the energy loss of the system. You need mother nature to help with wind, solar, or hydro. You may be thinking along those lines, but it sounds like you want a motor to drive a generator, which in turn drives that motor and so on, resulting in more energy out than you put in. many have tried, but physics has always said no.

Where does the wind turbine come into this picture?

Bud

Ray, you type faster.

Last edited by Bud9051; 03-25-13 at 07:16 AM. Reason: slow typing
Old 03-25-13, 07:24 AM
Well i have to be honest, all the science books are going through swift amendments and the desperate need to be re-written is just the tip of the iceburg. There is a lot coming to the surface and mainstream science are loosing their reputations thick and fast as more and more people become aware of the BS.

There is a lot i and many others have seen behind closed doors that is not allowed to be released to the public... Science as we have been told, is not 100% true with what is capable, it totally conflicts with what has already been achieved against the public knowledge.

So, please lets just stick with motors on this thread...as thats all i came here for :-)

What 12v dc motor is reliable and heavy duty-ish?
Motor knowledge only please to keep it simple! lol

Thanks

Old 03-25-13, 07:48 AM
Hi bud, wind turbine is neither here nor there really, i'm just using the generator inside with the spinning bit (no fins), sorry if there was confusion.

On the shaft of a motor i plan to spread to weight using a cd, to hook on to the generator. The most pressure and weight is at the centre of the generator to turn it, but if i distribute the weight in a circular motion to mimic the size of the generator face (spinning bit) it wont put too much pressure on the motor.

Im not into physics to be fair, i've just noticed common sense is dying in the world while 'science' or shall i say...'repeaters' of the program are trying to take over...and it's not working. Thats why things are falling apart. We rely too much in what is 'given to us' than find out for ourselves and create something for ourselves using our nut and pull together.

Common sense tells me, 30w in (being drawn), with a return of 400w = 370w untouched USEABLE power in the cycle.

On paper it works, in my head it works, in real life...i just need the instruments! lol

Same principle if you use a leisure battery, they always say you should only use less than what is going into your battery, never use more than what battery is receiving. And that is what the principle is i'm attempting here :-)

Motors....motors.....please :-)

Old 03-25-13, 08:55 AM
I'm afraid I'll have to pass on helping for now (besides I don't have a motor beyond what has been suggested) as I do believe in many of the basic principles of physics. But I'm also a believer in experience being one of the best teachers, so have at it and do come back with your results. Just don't spend a lot of money.

To maybe help you move forward, science advances by using what we have learned in the past to avoid having to reinvent everything from the start. If you put your efforts into collecting solar of wind energy you will be on a much more feasible track.

What Ray, Rick, and many of us already know is that when you turn a generator its resistance will increase as you draw more energy. They don't spin easily when producing a lot of power. Thus it requires more energy in than you will get out.

But I see you are determined, enjoy.

Bud

Old 03-25-13, 11:45 AM
I think you should try your experment with with a couple of cheap PM motors just to see what you get. Don't go spending a lot on continus duty motors until you have proven your idea. Ebay is a great place to buy motors of all kinds.

Old 03-25-13, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your positive input bud and others :-)
Ive bought a PWM controller and 12v DC 'industrial use' motor for 18quid all in...BARGAIN! lol
The motor is high torque and high rpm, pulling only 1.2amp. So we shall see...hurry up postie :-)

Old 03-25-13, 01:00 PM
Years ago I had a mother come into my shop with her 12 yr old son. She had her old manual typewriter in a box in literally a hundred pieces. She was waiting for me to tell her it was totaled so she could thrash the dickens out of her son, but instead I complimented him on doing such a great job of disassembling it. The mother was obviously confused and still upset when I did confirm it was normally totaled, so I explained to her, I would put in a late night and reassemble the machine for a small charge, but her son had shown the first indications of being very mechanically inclined. After all, taking something apart is always the first step towards fixing it and he certainly had done a great job.

For you 007, I and many others will never say how many times we have had to prove something for ourselves, but I'll bet we would all agree, the end result was a better understanding than just reading from a book. But, don't give up on the books with the science that has gone before you, most of it IS correct.

Bud

Old 03-25-13, 01:15 PM
Thinking "outside the box" and doing experments is the best teacher out there. Even if your experment fails, it gets you thinking about better ways to do things. Looking forward to your measured results. Good luck.