Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Please check the location of my sub panel for code violations. (Pic inside)

Old 03-25-13, 12:25 PM

Installing a sub panel in my garage.

From what I understand it must be 36" off the floor and 30" or so from the ceiling. I didn't measure but with 9ft ceilings should be close. Should be easy to access not behind a door. I have two doors but neither restricts access. No other utilities within the uh stud area. Nothing else will be run through the stud cavity. I'm planing to have a certified electrician (family member) out to hook up the box. However at this point I'm trying to get stuff figured into place before he comes out. For example the 12-2 wire in the picture is the outlets I'm roughing in. I ideally I'd like to have him just run the large wire from the panel. The 220v for the welder, breaker for the heater, breakers for the outlets and assorted wiring I'd enjoy doing myself.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-13, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Lots of cats (bridging or fire stops) in that wall. Lots of wood to drill.

I would say the location of the panel is fine. A typical height measurement would be no higher than 6' to the top handle (breaker) in the panel.

The only issue I see is all the wood that needs to be drilled for cable access...... otherwise

Old 03-25-13, 01:22 PM
The most glaring problem is that step on the right. You are somewhat mistaken with the locating dimensions as well. There is no minimum height above the floor and no minimum height down from the ceiling. The dimensions are: Located in a space 30 inches wide from floor to ceiling with a clear space the same width out 36 inches from the face of the panel. This "clear space" extends from floor to ceiling. The top-most handle of any switch or circuit breaker may not be more than 6 feet 7 inches above the floor.

Moving the panel to the left of the door should make everything acceptable.

Old 03-25-13, 01:39 PM
So if I removed the 2x4 spacers and shifted them to the other side it would be a better scenario? The Clear space width your referring to of 30" width means 15" inches from the center of the box right? The issue I'm seeing is a have a light switch and and am using the spacers as a wire pass thru to get to the light fixture outside. If I removed the spacers I'd likely reroute the wire behind the sub panel.

Old 03-25-13, 01:50 PM
Furd is slightly mistaken. It's perfect the way it is. The panel does not have to be centered in the 30" width. In the 30" width, it may be far right, (as you have it), far left, or anywhere in between.

Old 03-25-13, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
I think Ray threw this idea out once: Imagine a refrigerator box in front of the panel - it has to fit within the area and completely cover the panel but the panel does not have to be centered on the box.

Old 03-25-13, 01:59 PM
It is the step (down) from the door to the right that is the problem. That step is inside the required clear space.

Old 03-25-13, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
I don't pretend to be a code expert but I think Furd is right (as he usually is).

Old 03-25-13, 02:26 PM
The code is a permissive document. That is, anything is allowed that is not written as prohibited. Centered is not written, (NEC 2008 110.26(2)) so it is not enforceable.

Read the comment in the middle of this National Electrical Code Handbook graphic.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1...rkingspace.jpg

Old 03-25-13, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
I think Ray threw this idea out once: Imagine a refrigerator box...
Nope, I stole that from PCBoss if I recall correctly.

Old 03-25-13, 03:17 PM
On further reflection I agree with Glenn, that location IS acceptable. If the edge of the panel enclosure had overlapped the edge of the step, which at first I thought it did, then there would have been a problem. That's why it is always best to get more than one opinion.

Old 03-25-13, 03:44 PM
It is the step (down) from the door to the right that is the problem. That step is inside the required clear space.
I'd like to agree with this. I's rather not have that ankle-breaker of a step that close when I'm working in a panel and, if it were mine, I'd mount it somewhere else - probably to the right of the door into the house.

That said, the panel appears to be permissible where it is. The explanation is in post #5:
Originally Posted by Glennsparky
The panel does not have to be centered in the 30" width. In the 30" width, it may be far right, (as you have it), far left, or anywhere in between.

Old 03-25-13, 04:11 PM
Thanks all I've decided to leave it as is. With it right centered in the stud cavity the sub panel cover swings left and doesn't get in the way of the back door. I've considered moving it elsewhere. But, do to cost the high cost of hook up wire and ease of access to the panel I think I'll leave it be. Thanks to all who weighed in it really helped clarify and a learned something new.