wiring outlets in a chain

Old 03-25-13, 11:52 PM
wiring outlets in a chain

i received a lot of good advice from the forum-thanks
i think i have a good understanding of everything but just need clarification on a few points so i condensed it all in a new thread.

the plan is to wire 5 or 6 outlets indoors in a chain, i will be using 12-2 NM wire with a metal 4" box. i need clarification on a few points before i proceed please.

1)for a single duplex outlet in a 4" box - is it better to feed the outlet from the top set of screws and continue out to the next from the bottom set OR pigtail 3 wires together ("in" from supply/"out" to next outlet/and outlet supply)

2)for 2 duplex outlets in a 4" box - is it correct to
pigtail 3 wires together - "in" from supply/"out" to next outlet/and "first" outlet supply and than supply the second outlet from the bottom set of screws on the first outlet?

3)for grounding
in each box will i be correct if i take the two ends of the bare copper ground and pigtail it to a green ground wire and then attach it to the grounding screw of the outlet, or for 2 duplex outlets in a 4" box make the same grounding pigtail with 4 wires

AND

i have read that the metal box should be grounded as well, if so whats the easiest way to do it assuming you have 2 outlets in the box.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Top screw, bottom screw, as long as the tab isn't broken doesn't matter. It is easier to make a pigtail at each receptacle and install those wires to the receptacle. It keeps continuity going for your hot and neutral, even if you remove that particular receptacle and cap the wires off.

You can make a double pigtail for 2 duplex receptacles if you want, or just jumper between the two receptacles.

Your grounding wire must first be looped and attached to a green screw in the threaded hole in the back of the box, then extend to your receptacles. If you have more than one cable, the grounding wires should be twisted and connected either with a barrel connector or green grounding bcap, leaving one wire to the receptacle. In the event of two receptacles, you can omit the bcap and run two wires, after twisting and crimping, one to each receptacle. Remember, one screw, one wire, unless you use better receptacles which allow for pressure plate connectors from the back (not stab back).