I bought a dry ice fog machine and need help with wiring.

Old 03-26-13, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I bought a dry ice fog machine and need help with wiring.

Ok I bought a dry ice fog machine that came with the attached plug in.

I believe it's 220v because the user manual says it is 4000w. The way this thing works is it boils water and then you add dry ice to it close the lid and it shoots out a very thick fog out of the bottom of it. It's pretty cool.

Anyways I want to check the thing out but need to wire it up first.

Here is a picture of the inside

I want to add a ground wire to the frame, It's all stainless steel. I was thinking of removing the plug that is on it and just wiring a 5' 10-3 cord that terminates in a 220v 20a 3 prong plug? Does that sound like a good idea? I have a 3prong recepticle to plug it into.

I live in Minnesota, USA.

Last edited by Ntertainment; 03-26-13 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I bought a dry ice fog machine that came with the attached plug in.
What is the make and model? Did it come with a cord with a female end that matches that inlet?

I believe it's 220v because the user manual says it is 4000w
You'd better find out for sure before you hook it up. BTW, you don't have 220V power available. You have a single-phase 120/240V electrical service. Do you have a link to the manual?

I want to add a ground wire to the frame, It's all stainless steel. I was thinking of removing the plug that is on it and just wiring a 5' 10-3 cord that terminates in a 220v 20a 3 prong plug? Does that sound like a good idea? I have a 3prong recepticle to plug it into.
Grounding the frame isn't a bad idea, but I don't understand how the cord would work. Would you use SJ cord to make one?

Most of us have 3-slot receptacles all through our houses. None of them is wired to supply 240V. So what are you planning to plug this machine into?

Old 03-26-13, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm no electrical expert.....but looks to me like that thing requires an external power supply of some sort.

The socket shown doesn't look like any I've ever seen.

How about a shot of an actual model number/manufacturer sticker?

Old 03-26-13, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My money is on this being from overseas and not a North American electrical item. AKA 220 volts 50 Hz

Old 03-26-13, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

My money is on this being from overseas and not a North American electrical item. AKA 220 volts 50 Hz
It's from china.

You'd better find out for sure before you hook it up. BTW, you don't have 220V power available. You have a single-phase 120/240V electrical service. Do you have a link to the manual?
User manual says

Voltage: AC 220v +- 10%, 50-60hz
Power:3000w-6000w

I'm going to add a SOOW cable like this one and this specific plug,

What is the make and model? Did it come with a cord with a female end that matches that inlet?

I don't want to use that because there is no ground.

I do have a 220v outlet in my house that is a NEMA 10-30.

My real question is about adding the ground. I'm guessing that since this is a heater, that it operates very much like a baseboard hearter, which has 2 hots, and a ground and the ground is connected right to the chassis if the baseboard heater, that's what i want to do here. Does anyone see any problem with that? I'm also not familiar with that breaker that is on there does anyone know if that should be a problem?

Old 03-26-13, 05:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It has what appears to be a 2 pole GFCI circuit breaker* that is labeled 400 volts so we can assume less then 480 volts and probably more then 120 volts. Can you at least give us the Ebay link.

*DZ47-63 comes up as a non US market GFCI circuit breaker in search.

Old 03-26-13, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
I will say that your plan sounds OK with a * next to it. Since you are dealing with significant current grounding to somewhere on the case is probably better than nothing. I'm sure there are holes in the plan somewhere but it sounds like it's that or nothing. Many/most devices in other countries operate without grounds much as it was in the US 30-50 years ago. But... a suicide shower head and a 240VAC bare knife switch within easy bumping reach seem sorta normal so take my idea of safety with a grain of salt.

The bigger issue for you is your personal liability especially if using the fog machine commercially. If something ever happens you will be crucified in court.

Nice bit of stainless steel so it certainly looks cool. Where do the smaller wires from the breaker lead? Is there a fan? Does the manual (probably written in Mandrin) mention adding salt to the water?

Old 03-26-13, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
I've made them from 55 gallon drums. They work pretty good. Mine had three elements and two blowers. Needed three 20a 120v circuits to run.

You get one good shot of fog. Once the ice is released into the hot water .....the water starts to cool quickly. We used to get about 5 minutes of thick fog.......with I think it was 40 pounds of ice.

They use regular water heater heating elements so no salt is required in the water.

Old 03-26-13, 05:46 PM
It has what appears to be a 2 pole GFCI circuit breaker* that is labeled 400 volts so we can assume less then 480 volts and probably more then 120 volts. Can you at least give us the Ebay link.
It's 220volt. As i said in another one of my posts. Sorry about the original not knowing.

Nice bit of stainless steel so it certainly looks cool. Where do the smaller wires from the breaker lead? Is there a fan? Does the manual (probably written in Mandrin) mention adding salt to the water?
Manual is in mandrin and in really bad english. I got the guist of what they were saying though. No it didn't say anything about salt water.

Heres a picture of the entire insides, it's a very simple design.

The entire thing is stainless so yeah i think i got a pretty good deal on all the steel.

Old 03-26-13, 06:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it has any motors such as fans they may not run at the correct speed and have a shorter life if they are designed for 50Hz. Heater will probably be okay on 240 volts.

Old 03-26-13, 06:54 PM
No fans just the heater element.

Old 03-27-13, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
I have seen them (the heaters) made two ways. One with a water heater style element which can use any water. The drawback is they must be filled with water when the element is on or else the element burns out. The other style just has two probes going out into the water. Each hot leg of power is connected to one bar and they do not touch. Some amount of minerals or salt is needed in the water to allow it to carry the current and heat the water. If the water gets low it automatically opens the circuit so the element cant' burn out.

Old 03-27-13, 08:19 AM
Heres how i wired it. This is for testing only i'll have to find something to work as a ring around the cord right where it enters the box. I'll let you know how the test go. I'll prob test it out tonight. The heater design of this looks a lot like a small deep fryer.

Old 03-27-13, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
@Dane.....I knew what you were referring to by adding salt I had just never seen that style in a fog machine.

No Fan ?? You need a fan. The fog won't move without it.

With my machines.... we installed two 4" pvc flanges on the unit. We made up pvc y's and lots of 4" flex hose like what used to be used on dryers.

The machine and hose would be behind the curtain and we would have 4-6 lines just poking out from under the curtain.

You could use a connector that would normally be used for non metallic cable.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-13, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
"@Dane.....I knew what you were referring to by adding salt I had just never seen that style in a fog machine."

Sometimes I think I've seen too much for my own good. I often catch myself and have to delete a post because of something that is done in another country but is not considered safe or violates codes in the USA.

Old 03-27-13, 04:16 PM
No Fan ?? You need a fan. The fog won't move without it.
Chauvet makes one that also does not have a fan. They seem so work by trapping all the "fog" and only having one exit for it to leave which i near the floor of the unit. At leas mine is near the floor. It looks like i'll have to wait until friday to test it out so i can buy the dry ice. The place that sells it has closed in town.

Products Nimbus

Old 03-27-13, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
That Nimbus is a cool little machine. Perfect for a dance floor.

When you buy your dry ice..... try to get the pellets. I could usually only get the blocks and it was a nuisance to break up. The smaller the pieces the faster it works. Store the dry ice in an airtight as possible container.....like a good ice chest.

Old 03-29-13, 03:03 PM
I got so i wired it with a 3 prong range plug to test it out at home. I can't seem to buy Dry ICE anywhere close right now because it's cold here. I might be able to get some next week and test out the dry ice feature then.

When i plugged it in i could hear it starting to bubble very quickly right away. I would say it had the water up to 80c in about 5 min. Which is awesome. I need to make one slight change in the way the hood is designed but it worked!!

Old 04-02-13, 11:55 PM
Here's an update. I got a few pounds of dry ice from my sister's work.

I had the water temp way to high for this, and it spilled water all over the floor. It was hard to shut the lid because i had the water too hot. i guess it's supposed to be about 80c. I'll post another vid when i have the water temp right.

Old 04-03-13, 12:23 AM
Group Moderator
Doesn't this machine have a basket that lowers the ice into the hot water ?

Instead of being too hot....maybe there's too much water in it.

With the 55 gallon drums we used to use.....we would load the basket with +40 pounds of ice. I think there was maybe 20-25 gallons of almost boiling water in it. Twin blowers. The ice would be dropped into the water and smoke would come out of every hole. It would fill the entire stage and out into the audience in seconds. It would last a maximum of 4-5 minutes.

Old 04-03-13, 12:28 AM
No basket on this one. I saw on the Chauvet nimbus that the basket still is dropped in and then the lid is shut so kinda the same thing.

Old 04-03-13, 12:34 AM
Group Moderator
Ok......so you have to dump the ice in and then close the door.