Master Bedroom No Electricity

Old 03-26-13, 06:07 PM
Master Bedroom No Electricity

Hi. Okay Today I turned on a standing lamp in the bedroom. The light flickered and went out, at the same time I noticed the phone light up (as if it was ringing), the phone is plugged into the prior outlet in the room. Then all the power went out. I turned off/on every breaker, even the master breaker. No change. I then went and bought a tester (sorry don't know what they are called). I bought the seemingly idiot proof kind, that list what the probelm is. Every outlet reads "Open Hot". Probelm is, I have no idea what that means. I've tried googling it and haven't got very far. I did find this site, which is the ONLY reason I've gotten as far as I have...thanks everyone BTW the fan/light doesn't work either and it is on a switch not an outlet. What do I need to do from here? I'm tempted to take out the outlet that the lamp was plugged into and replace it. But, thought I'd seek some advice first. Thanks a bunch.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I turned off/on every breaker, even the master breaker.
Is there a breaker labeled Master Bedroom? If so, turn that off and see what else goes off. The problem is probably at the last working outlet or the first non-working one.

See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light, Basic Terminology & Other info

Troubleshooting it may be slightly more complicated since you appear to have all of the different outlets in the room - for receptacles, switches and lights - fed on the same circuit.

Every outlet reads "Open Hot". Probelm is, I have no idea what that means.
"Open Hot" means that a connection has come apart in the wires carrying the ungrounded current (the "hot" wires) somewhere between the panel and the receptacles you plugged your tester into. You need to look for, and correct, a splice that a wire has pulled out of, or a connection on a device that is now loose.

Old 03-26-13, 06:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like something is lose somewhere, maybe a lost neutral. If you haven't done that work, you might want to get some help.

Old 03-27-13, 05:45 AM
Since your tester showed that the problem is an open hot, the loose connection should be in the black power wires, not in the white neutral wires. That said, I would inspect all connections while I had the boxes open.

Old 03-27-13, 09:50 AM
Okay thanks all. We may have to hire someone. My husband came home and unscrewed all the outlet covers to check for any glaring mishaps. Found none. BUT about 3 minutes after he screwed in the last cover (ironically the same one the lamp was plugged into). All the power came back on. Okay all night. Then this morning I walked into the bedroom and the clocks were blinking. The power had gone off and on again. Thank you NashKat. I think we will check all the black wires before we attempt to call in an expert.

Old 03-27-13, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
You don't just remove the covers. You pul the receptacles out to make sure the screws are tight and that there are no back stabs.

You don't have any switch controlled receptacles that were recently replaced, do you?

Last edited by ray2047; 03-28-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 04:29 PM
That is very helpful Ray! Will try that.

Old 03-28-13, 03:50 PM
remove and replace that receptacle, reconnect the receptacle by the screws not stabbing the wires into the back of it... that way always seems to lead to this type of problems

Old 03-28-13, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the forums! Always nice to have another electrician on board, and particularly to have one who's familiar with Canadian codes.

remove and replace that receptacle, reconnect the receptacle by the screws not stabbing the wires into the back of it... that way always seems to lead to this type of problems
Maybe we missed something here. What do you see that indicates a receptacle needs to be replaced, or that back-stab connections may be part of the problem?

Old 03-31-13, 07:34 AM
just from personal experience, i have had this scenario many times and its almost always the stabs corrode losing connection over time. the receptacle may not NEED replacing but its safe to say in this instance there has been mild arcing in the stabs so for a $1 or 2 it wouldn't hurt. ( also some receptacles don't release the wires so they need to be cut off)

Old 03-31-13, 06:56 PM
i have had this scenario many times and its almost always the stabs corrode losing connection over time. the receptacle may not NEED replacing but its safe to say in this instance there has been mild arcing in the stabs so for a $1 or 2 it wouldn't hurt.
That is why we commonly advise splicing each set of wires that shares a function together with a pigtail that is connected to the device, when a device is being replaced or just re-installed. I just asked because we haven't seen anything in this thread to indicate that any wires were back-stabbed into any of the receptacles, nor to indicate that any device has failed, so far as I can tell.

Just trying to tailor our replies to fit the OP's situation and needs, that's all.