My GFCI keeps popping, nothing plugged in

Old 03-28-13, 01:00 PM
My GFCI keeps popping, nothing plugged in

So how do I find the fault in this? It is in my motorhome and I have a GFCI in the bathroom and it runs the outlets along the driverside wall when I am plugged in or generator running. I thought it was a bad outlet so I replaced it .. nope, new one pops immediately. is there a technique to finding faults?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-13, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Disconnect the cable on the load side side of the GFCI. Does it still trip? If yes reconnect and go to the next receptacle and disconnect the cables feeding the receptacle. Does it trip? If yes reconnect and move on to the next receptacle. Repeat till you have isolated where the problem is and post back for more instructions.

Note, if the GFCI load side feeds a second GFCI that GFCI should be replaced with a regular receptacle.

Old 03-28-13, 01:54 PM
I am wondering is there a way to test receptacles with no power, just to see if they are bad? I am going to go out and do what you said and get back to you on it.. should take about 30 minutes or less.

Old 03-28-13, 02:01 PM
Ok, I took the white and black off the load side and kept a black and white on the line side. it did not pop. Now what?

Old 03-28-13, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
One of the receptacles down circuit or cables are causing the problem. Use the method I outlined earlier but start at the last receptacle instead of the first.

Old 03-28-13, 02:44 PM
ok, one of them (the one at the end) is not accessible. I hope it isn't that one.

Old 03-28-13, 03:53 PM
SO here is what we have

gfci --------kitchen wall ------- kitchen under cabinet ------ refrigerator (outside compartment) ------- under cabinet outlet 2 ------- under cabinet outlet 3and end of circuit.

So I can't access the last receptacle without a HUGE effort. So I started with

Kitchen wall = still popped
refrigerator outside compartment = still popped
Kitchen under cabinet= did not pop.

I put a new outlet on the kitchen under cabinet and reattached the kitchen wall and it popped. The refrigerator outside is still not attached again do I need to attach that or what do you think is going on?

Old 03-28-13, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Which under cabinet receptacle are you referring to??? 1, 2 or 3? As Ray said, you need to start at under cabinet receptacle 3 and work backwards toward the gfci. Is this the one you can't access??

Old 03-28-13, 06:03 PM
gfci --------kitchen wall ------- kitchen under cabinet ------ refrigerator (outside compartment) ------- under cabinet outlet 2 ------- under cabinet outlet 3and end of circuit.

I started with

Kitchen wall = still popped
refrigerator outside compartment = still popped
Kitchen under cabinet= did not pop.
Something doesn't add up here. Nothing beyond the first receptacle that causes the GFCI to trip should work. If the wiring goes from the GFCI receptacle to one on the kitchen wall and then one under the cabinet and then one for a refrigerator, in that order, and the kitchen wall receptacle has a problem, then nothing beyond that should work without repairing the problem.

I would take everything apart starting at the LOAD terminals on the GFCI. If I didn't see something that needed fixing, I would use a multimeter to test for continuity to verify the wiring sequence, and start connecting the devices back in that order, testing as I went.

Old 03-29-13, 11:35 AM
Ok, so here is what was happening. I just had some speakers installed and the idiots who installed them must have moved some wiring around to make room for the speaker. When they put them beack together they attacked some 12volt lights into the 120v outlet wiring. There was sort of a junction in the back there for splitting off to another outlet and so they probably just figured all the white wires went together. I wasted all day and spent money on new outlets and wiring to do a bypass. not happy about that.

Thanks for all your help

Old 03-29-13, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Bummer that you paid someone to do this to you

But nice you got it resolved

Thanks for the update.