exposed romex

Old 03-29-13, 06:17 AM
Question exposed romex

I am running 2 new circuits to my upstairs bathroom using my pantry downstairs and the linen closet upstairs as a pathway to the attic. The space has been used to run other utilities to the attic from the basement, i.e., central vac line, and HVAC lines. I plan to secure the romex to one of these pipes. Is that ok or does the romex have to be enclosed? if so, can I use a wire channel?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Code states that NM-B (Romex) needs to be protected when it's in an area 'subject to damage'. In the back of a closet, in my opinion, it would be subject to things being leaned on it, boxes, etc.

But it's a pretty easy fix. You can sleeve the NM-B in gray PVC conduit, then attach the conduit to the wall with conduit straps. A 3/4" conduit can handle sleeving two 12 or 14ga NM-B cables without a problem. You don't need to do anything special at the top and bottom of each conduit.

Old 03-29-13, 08:50 AM
Thanks Mike...I had heard you shouldn't run romex inside conduit; it had to be separate strand wire. Not sure why. To me that would require a splice box at each end to connect the romex back into the circuit.
Thanks again.

Old 03-29-13, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
It is best practice not to run cable in a complete conduit system but it is common, even recommended, to sleeve cable with conduit to protect it.