Snap in Connectors for BX in NYC

Old 03-29-13, 05:27 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Snap in Connectors for BX in NYC

Can someone tell me if snap in bx connectors are code to use in my house in the NYC area and if so, is there a good better best?

Old 03-29-13, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I don't know but why risk it unless you are installing 100's of connectors ?

I won't use them. The fit is sloppy and I've seen the metallic jacket pull out.

Old 03-29-13, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
As long at the fitting is installed correctly and is approved for the cable, they should be fine. We use them all the time, but our jobs are commercial and are surrounded by steel. Can't say for sure if NYC approves them, but if they follow the current NEC I would think they would.

BTW - BX is a trade name. Are you using AC (Armor Clad, closest to older BX with a bonding strip.) or MC (Metal Clad)

Old 03-30-13, 12:54 AM
B
Snap in Connectors for BX, MC and AC in NYC

Name:  7189241308p.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  10.6 KB
This is the connector that I was thinking of using, is made by Arlington Industries. Name:  halexsnapin.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  7.1 KB
The local store also has the Halex one, I wish I had experience with these to know which one of the 2 is better, they both look good.

Tolyn Ironhand, do you use these all the time in commercial applications in the NYC area?

Oh, and yes I am using the armor clad with the bonding strip.

If there is anyone out there that has any experience with these or knowledge, especially in the NYC area, please post here.

Old 03-30-13, 04:26 AM
P
If there is anyone out there that has any experience with these or knowledge, especially in the NYC area, please post here

I posted something similar awhile back. The consensus was to go with the locknut.
I've always used the locknuts, but when I saw OZ version, I'd figure I'd ask the opinion of guys who see and use this everyday. The consensus was locknuts or *the built in clamps* were far more reliable/preferred than these.

Old 03-30-13, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I live and work in the Midwest so no, I have not used them in NYC

I have used both the Arlington fitting you posted (38AST), and their SG38AST fittings and have never had any issues with them. I do like the SG38AST fittings better though, as you can remove the cable if needed without destroying the fitting. The 38AST fittings are a one shot deal.

SG38AST

Really, the best way to find out if they are ok for your area is to contact your local inspections office.

Old 03-30-13, 06:14 AM
B
update:

I just spoke to a friend. He is a licensed electrician working in the union as a foreman or supervisor, I forget. He tells me that that is all they are using now. I also asked him about the same ones with the screw on them(SG38AST) and he said that they do not use those and that its not often they need to remove or redo wiring. He emphasized that the built in insulator that is very important. Ooof, I'm glad that mission is over.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 03-30-13, 08:51 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The Halex is more of a big box brand, between the two connectors you mentioned, I'd lean toward the Arlington brand. What I see more in my area is generically called "Speedlok" fittings made by several manufacturers.

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-...SPEED-LOCK.pdf

It's all about saving time on mid sized to larger projects. It's much quicker to install 1,000 speedloks than 1,000 lock nut type connectors. Labor is always the big expense on a good sized job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: